Clipping method

• Hi everyone,
    I wonder if I missed something : when I clip an object inside another one, I cannot set a color to fill the "container" or it will hide what is inside. The solution that I found is to copy the container inside itself, then to put this copy under the child object in the layer stack so I can give it any color I want.
    Is it the normal way?
    In Affinity Designer, we just clip the "child" object inside. Both child and container have their own color, and the child is visible. Since I have to do one more operation I wonder if there's an option I missed or if it's the usual way.

0_1650348073942_clipping.jpg

• I have to be more specific because I noticed my illustration is confusing...
    It works the same way in AD and VS as long as both shape had a fill color before the clipping. But if I want to give a color after the shapes are clipped, it doesn't work in VS. My problem is that I always draw everything with just lines before adding the colors.

• administrators

@Devil-Dinosaur Setting the fill for a container should work in VS. Just select the (clipped) group, and set a color. And the Appearance panel will show a Group and a Fill item.

Here is an example.
    0_1650348714888_container.png

• @Devil-Dinosaur said in Clipping method:

I have to be more specific because I noticed my illustration is confusing...
    It works the same way in AD and VS as long as both shape had a fill color before the clipping. But if I want to give a color after the shapes are clipped, it doesn't work in VS. My problem is that I always draw everything with just lines before adding the colors.

I quote myself... 😅
    Here's the result if I set a fill color after clipping :
    0_1650349289029_clipping2.jpg
    The "child" is not visible if I set a color to the container.

• administrators

@Devil-Dinosaur Got it! In the Appearance panel, move the Group above the Fill.
    I will fix this to have it place the Fill below the Group by default.

• Thank you, it works ! ☺
    Actually it's not a big deal since I solved the problem by adding a copy of the container on the bottom.
    I guess it would be smoother if the position of the group was "above the fill" by default. But I also understand the use of a transparent container.
    Thanks again for your quick answer.

• administrators

@Devil-Dinosaur said in Clipping method:

I guess it would be smoother if the position of the group was "above the fill" by default.

Will be in the next build. This a bug 🙂