File Size warning When saving at specified threshold

• I was doing a design for a couple hours today and after a while VS became very sluggish and inoperable. Basic steps were taking a lot of RAM and time to complete. Saving and reopening VS did not solve it - eventually I realized my saved document history must be taking up a TON of space and I was right - the file was over 225mb in size! RAM usage was over 9GB for VS.

Once I erased the history and saved the file again, it was down to 9mb in size and VS returned to being efficient again.
    It made me think about the possibility of adding a warning to the save panel when a file hits a predetermined size (sizing could be set to a default number at first but the user could then modify that number in the preferences) This way as you are working along and saving, you'll be aware of when a file hits a certain milestone and things can then be adjusted accordingly so it does not suddenly bog down the machine later on.

• administrators

@Boldline Could this be linked to the stored history size. Meaning that if the history reaches a certain memory limit then it gets reduced (but not completely purged) ?

• @vectoradmin said in File Size warning When saving at specified threshold:

Could this be linked to the stored history size.

That seems like a good solution. Maybe give the user the option of how many history steps to keep (they could keep all if they want to) and/or how much file size? Obviously deleting the oldest history steps first as you go along makes the most sense.

With this kind of a system, the user could adjust the setting based on what they most need at the time for the given project. Not every project needs a full hisotry - others do.

• @Boldline said in File Size warning When saving at specified threshold:

Maybe give the user the option of how many history steps to keep (they could keep all if they want to) and/or how much file size? Obviously deleting the oldest history steps first as you go along makes the most sense.

@vectoradmin Isn't 'History Limit' in Document Setup doing this?

• administrators

@b77 Yes it should do that. But in this case for some reason it did not work, I have to test it more.