How much RAM should VS be using in a normal state on an M1?

• VS was acting slowly for me with delays doing small tasks - I checked the amount of memory used by VS at the time and it was around 3.5GB. I also had a ton of browser tabs open and the like - so I closed everything out and restarted the computer. I opened the file again and immediately checked the RAM usage again and it was at 3GB already....before I had done anything new in this session... is this normal?
    UPDATE: I quit out of VS and emptied the trash and restarted VS again but did not open any files and its holding steady at 490 MB. Opened a new blank file and it's at 623MB. Opened a smaller file and it's holding the same... maybe it's just when I have a file with a lot of small vector shapes?

0_1656521279517_8bf8fa78-0851-467b-8331-aa8afb84b580-BLD 2022-06-29 at 12.45.17.png

• @VectorStyler I went ahead and sent you the big file - it's 15mb in size. When I open it, the RAM usage jumps from under 1GB to over 3GB. I'm sure it's related in large part to the triangle pattern I imported and ungrouped and was editing. It still seems like VS should not be getting bogged down, despite the file size...
    Here is how the screen looks and I put an arrow pointing to the ungrouped vector pattern
    0_1656523237199_3cf60594-0e3f-4e18-a1a0-93d4139f1fd3-BLD 2022-06-29 at 13.19.40.png

• @VectorStyler I ended up copying and pasting the contents if that larger file into Illustrator CS6 and was easily able to manipulate it and get the final result i wanted without any lagging or issues like I was experiencing in VS.
    I share that more to question why VS would be overwhelmed on an M1 mac with 16GB of Ram. I was using CS6 on an older intel with 32GB of Ram and had no issues... I can recognize there's twice the available RAM, but I also was assuming the M1 was naturally a more efficient and powerful machine...
    0_1656525789875_5e9751cd-a1f9-4d33-9ac2-07715a51cd29-image.png

• administrators

@Boldline I got the file and tested it. This could be a performance bug.
    3.5 GB is quite a lot, but it can happen. Still it should not slow down that much.

One way to reduce RAM usage is to purge the Undo/Redo history (and maybe then restart VS to have a clear state).
    But this does not explain the sluggish behavior so I open a bug on this one.

• @VectorStyler said in How much RAM should VS be using in a normal state on an M1?:

I got the file and tested it. This could be a performance bug.

Did it jump in RAM usage for you as well and turn somewhat sluggish when using that file I sent?

• administrators

@Boldline Yes it also consumed 3GB here. But it reduces if the Undo/Redo history is purge.
    Could not yet get to the sluggishness part.
    Was it caused by moving the halftone vectors? or some other part?

• @VectorStyler said in How much RAM should VS be using in a normal state on an M1?:

Was it caused by moving the halftone vectors? or some other part?

Yes, it was when I was trying to select a vertical portion sample and use option/alt to copy and drag it down to lengthen the vertical number of them - it would just freeze up for a few min

• administrators

@Boldline It seems to be working here (could test on an Intel Macbook Pro for now), if I select parts or all the halftone vectors, duplicating works without slowing down.

If you have time to make a recording, I might be able to find the issue.