Option modifier when clicking on tab for recovered file should show the file in the recovery folder

• Just as we can option-click on a project tab in VS and it opens the source location, the same should be possible with recovery files. When we click on one with the option key modifier, it should take us right to the storage location of the recovery files.

(it would be great if eps and ai and other files could also be located with this shortcut, but I know that's already been added to the list of updates 🙂

• administrators

@Boldline said in Option modifier when clicking on tab for recovered file should show the file in the recovery folder:

Just as we can option-click on a project tab in VS and it opens the source location, the same should be possible with recovery files. When we click on one with the option key modifier, it should take us right to the storage location of the recovery files.

Added this to the backlog.

(it would be great if eps and ai and other files could also be located with this shortcut, but I know that's already been added to the list of updates 🙂

Will be in the next build.

• administrators

@Boldline said in Option modifier when clicking on tab for recovered file should show the file in the recovery folder:

Just as we can option-click on a project tab in VS and it opens the source location, the same should be possible with recovery files. When we click on one with the option key modifier, it should take us right to the storage location of the recovery files.

After a bit of thinking: In this case there is also the issue that the actual file (not yet saved) still exists at some location.
    So how would the user then reveal that? Would it reveal only after saving the recovered file?

• @VectorStyler If I am thinking of this correctly, if I have a saved file and then I do more editing to the file and then VS crashed before I save again - the original file would be wherever I first saved it sans the most recent edits... and another recovery version would be in the recovery folder with any edits saved temporarily by VS before the crash. Does this sound right?
    I like way it's set up now, where if the crash occurs and I open the recovery file and click to save it, it offers to replace the existing original file - this is really handy and efficient. I'm not a developer but I assume the file has recorded the original location of the save and then when recovered, knows to replace the existing file in it's original location if the recovered file is saved - not saving it back to the recovery folder.

So if someone did the option-click on a recovered file - it would make sense to me that it would take them to the recovery folder - if they wanted the original file, they'd either need to save the recovery file first (saving over the original file in original location) or they'd need to go to the recently opened files and open it there.

Not to add more confusion, but what about a menu option to go to the recovery folder and avoid the issues with the option-modifier?
    These are just ideas - I don't want to ruin what exists now - the way the recovery file can easily replace the old saved version of the same file with a simple save command - that is genius and works so well.

• administrators

@VectorStyler If I am thinking of this correctly, if I have a saved file and then I do more editing to the file and then VS crashed before I save again - the original file would be wherever I first saved it sans the most recent edits... and another recovery version would be in the recovery folder with any edits saved temporarily by VS before the crash. Does this sound right?

Yes.

So if someone did the option-click on a recovered file - it would make sense to me that it would take them to the recovery folder - if they wanted the original file, they'd either need to save the recovery file first (saving over the original file in original location) or they'd need to go to the recently opened files and open it there.

This can be done.

Not to add more confusion, but what about a menu option to go to the recovery folder and avoid the issues with the option-modifier?

We need to think about limiting the new options. Those will also need to be reorganized in the near future, as the Preferences view is too complex.

I will postpone this to a future build.

• @VectorStyler said in Option modifier when clicking on tab for recovered file should show the file in the recovery folder:

We need to think about limiting the new options. Those will also need to be reorganized in the near future, as the Preferences view is too complex.

If I am misunderstanding, let me know - but this topic sparked the idea about the maintenance section in the help menu. I wasn't wanting to add more preferences to the literal preferences section

0_1657982940884_bb168598-a3d1-4749-9ae5-5caff2000796-BLD 2022-07-16 at 10.48.51.png