Trim between two nodes

• @b77 said in Trim between two nodes:

There is no way to click a segment to select it.
    Not sure a single click could mark a possible node location (as it currently does) AND also select that segment without confusing users?

Using the Shape Editor tool, if you single click a segment, it leaves a stationary indicator "arrow" at that point, so VS must know that it is a segment as it has just marked it with the arrow ?
    All VS needs to do is NOT delete the whole path when backspace is hit, but only the segment - problem solved πŸ™‚

Selecting a node and hitting backspace/delete whatever would still remain and not confusing at all. You would also still be able to double click to produce a node.
    Further, VS allows you to drag that segment to produce a curve (GREAT feature BTW !!!) - so it definitely knows it's a segment.

In essence the only thing that needs to change is to not delete the whole path but only the segment (as I suspect the original intention was πŸ™‚ )

Neil

• @Igull I agree that the ⊳ node marking can work for what it now does (show the place where if you click the [+] key it will add a node) and also "mark" the clicked segment for deletion.

It's just that I thought highlighting the segment somehow would have been better.

But I can't think of an elegant way to highlight the segment without making things look more busy than they already are when in node editing (with so many nodes and BΓ©zier handles).

• @b77 said in Trim between two nodes:

It's just that I thought highlighting the segment somehow would have been better.
    But I can't think of an elegant way to highlight the segment without making things look more busy than they already are when in node editing (with so many nodes and BΓ©zier handles).

TBH, I just checked AI - it highlights the whole path (not wonderful really !) So, your idea of placing an X or as is, an arrow/triangle will work just fine I think ?
    That way, everything will remain the same for mode editing etc.

Neil

• @b77

well for me where also enough to set that Triangle

could highlight that segment in complementary color be a way ?

• @Subpath said in Trim between two nodes:

could highlight that segment in complementary color a way ?

TBH, that would be nice, but adds icing on the cake πŸ™‚ I'd be happy with leaving the triangle - knowing that I was about to hit delete and remove it all anyway πŸ™‚

Neil

• @Igull

you right, extended my post above
    to set that triangle alone would fit it for me

• @Subpath and @Igull
    It's OK with me to use just the triangle mark for both node placement and segment highlight.

• @VectorStyler

Is it possible to implement this feature, using the shape editor tool, click a segment and hit backspace/delete to delete that segment rather than delete the whole object ?

TIA

Neil

• administrators

@Igull said in Trim between two nodes:

Is it possible to implement this feature, using the shape editor tool, click a segment and hit backspace/delete to delete that segment rather than delete the whole object

It is in the backlog.

• @VectorStyler said in Trim between two nodes:

Is it possible to implement this feature, using the shape editor tool, click a segment and hit backspace/delete to delete that segment rather than delete the whole object

It is in the backlog.

πŸ‘ πŸ‘

Neil

• @VectorStyler I was searching for the easiest way to delete segment and found this thread. There is a simple way to delete segment in AD with node tool holding CTRL and click will delete the segment.
    Example in AD

• administrators

@Jayanta-Das It is in the backlog for 1.2

• @VectorStyler said in Trim between two nodes:

It is in the backlog.

@Igull are you wanting the option to remove a segment entirely, leaving an open path?

If this gets implemented, would it take away the current "click a segment/node and hit backspace/delete to delete the node and click backspace/delete a second time to delete the whole object"?

I had advocated for this current option mentioned above and would like to be sure it's still an option in VS going forward as i use it quite often to quickly remove things

• @Jayanta-Das said in Trim between two nodes:

@VectorStyler I was searching for the easiest way to delete segment and found this thread. There is a simple way to delete segment in AD with node tool holding CTRL and click will delete the segment.
    Example in AD

This looks like a great solution - glad it will be in 1.2!

• @Boldline said in Trim between two nodes:

@Igull are you wanting the option to remove a segment entirely, leaving an open path?

Yes, that's correct.

If this gets implemented, would it take away the current "click a segment/node and hit backspace/delete to delete the node and click backspace/delete a second time to delete the whole object"?

No, that would still stand - I also like the idea of hitting backspace/delete a second time to delete the complete object.
    IIRC, in AI, selecting the segment then hitting delete, deletes the segment, but leaves the two adjacent nodes highlighted - hitting delete again would delete the complete object as it has both ends of it's vector selected.

Neil