Delete Path Segment

• Is it possible when selecting a path segment (path between two nodes) with the Shape Editor tool to simply delete the segment that the triangle marker is on rather than delete the complete path ?
    This would leave all other editing features intact and no change other than deleting the segment rather than the complete path.

Neil

• administrators

@Igull I add this to the backlog, it should not be difficult to implement.

• @VectorStyler

That's great, thanks !

Neil

• @VectorStyler Would this take away the current ability to hit delete twice on a selected node while using the node tool and have the entire path delete? I may not be fully understanding what @Igull is looking for, but i wanted to chime in just in case it affects that other feature. Is there a way to include what he is requesting and still leave the current feature? Ideally that current feature would remain. It's a big time saver in editing vectors

• administrators

@Boldline said in Delete Path Segment:

Would this take away the current ability to hit delete twice on a selected node while using the node tool and have the entire path delete

No. This would be a sort of "segment" delete.

• @Boldline

See Picture here for Explanation
    (the Triangle Marker is already in use in placing Nodes)

0_1658859316375_Segment delete.png

• @Boldline said in Delete Path Segment:

hit delete twice on a selected node while using the node tool and have the entire path delete

Yet another way to completely delete a path that I didn't know about - maybe there should be a new manual section for it ...

VectorStyler - 50 Ways To Delete That Path !
    VectorStyler - Knock Three Times To Delete That Path !

🙂

Currently, just clicking on a segment then hitting delete will also delete the whole path. What I am suggesting is that it only deletes the selected segment, your method would still remain (odd though it seems to me - not something you would find by chance or prior knowledge 🙂 )

Neil

• @Igull said in Delete Path Segment:

Currently, just clicking on a segment then hitting delete will also delete the whole path. What I am suggesting is that it only deletes the selected segment

Yes, but in that case the segment itself must be highlighted to make it visually clear that it is this whole part of the object that is in play. It can cause some visual noise if the user just wants to change curves and nodes; I think they will in 99% of all cases.

But it's certainly not deeply illogical request; as I recall, in other programs a single click will create a node, quite other programs do nothing, VS leave the direction symbol visible... As if one can expect more.

Yet another way to completely delete a path that I didn't know about - maybe there should be a new manual section for it ...

HAHA yeah it was a feature in Illustrator that I learned of somehow years ago and came to rely on for a fast method to have a controlled deletion of paths...
    I dare you to try it - you'll soon be addicted 🙂
    It was not initially in VS and I specifically requested it - so I was just making sure it stayed 🙂

• @Ingolf said in Delete Path Segment:

Yes, but in that case the segment itself must be highlighted to make it visually clear that it is this whole part of the object that is in play.

That's currently NOT the case 🙂

If you click on ANY segment then hit delete, the WHOLE object is deleted !

The highlight only needs to be the small triangle where you clicked - as it is currently - you're only going to hit the delete key if you want to delete it, you wouldn't hit delete if you wanted to change a curve - and it has no effect on nodes anyway (unless you hit delete - which is what you would do to delete it anyway !) 🙂

Neil

@Ingolf said in Delete Path Segment:

Yes, but in that case the segment itself must be highlighted to make it visually clear that it is this whole part of the object that is in play.

That's currently NOT the case 🙂
    If you click on ANY segment then hit delete, the WHOLE object is deleted !
    Yes I know

The highlight only needs to be the small triangle where you clicked - as it is currently - you're only going to hit the delete key if you want to delete it, you wouldn't hit delete if you wanted to change a curve - and it has no effect on nodes anyway (unless you hit delete - which is what you would do to delete it anyway !) 🙂

... but the triangle - that is always displayed in this scenario - is not enough to reveal to the user that the segment is kind of selected for ie deletion. Especially if this is not how other programs work.

• @Ingolf said in Delete Path Segment:

that is always displayed in this scenario

Yes, it indicates the selected position, but the triangle only remains stationary in position when you click it otherwise it is not visible unless you are hovering over another part of a path - in which case it is moving. You don't actually need to highlight the segment of the path to know when you have selected it ?

If you take the case of AI, it highlights the whole path then deletes only the segment that you selected - REALLY intuitive eh!, but works as you are completely aware of what you are doing.

TBH, it's just really simple, use the SE tool, click the segment, hit delete - you don't even need the triangle - it only gives you that warm feeling of having clicked something !

And if all else fails, CMD+Z 🙂

Neil

• 🙂

Personally I need more feedback from user interfaces.

• You guys are repeating the same discussion we had here: https://www.vectorstyler.com/forum/topic/2252/trim-between-two-nodes/3

• @b77

@b77 said in Delete Path Segment:

You guys are repeating the same discussion

In my own defence, I'm over 70 and reserve the right to repeat myself 🙂

Neil

PS In my own defence, I'm over 70 and reserve the right to repeat myself 🙂

• Ha ha. 😂

But I guess you repeated yourself because you thought the developer wasn't paying attention to the other thread.

As you can see, independently of my opinion/influence, at least one other user wondered if marking a segment for deletion with the same triangle mark used for adding a node is good enough to get the idea across.

But I would go with it anyway, and think of a way to add the segment highlight later.

• @Igull

...In my own defence, I'm over 70 and reserve the right to repeat myself...

like that saying 🙂
    but I'm a little unsure since 70 is supposed to be the new 30/40 for this generation

• @b77

... at least one other user wondered if marking a segment for deletion with the same triangle mark used for adding a node is good enough to get the idea across...

for me marking it with the Triangle will be enough
    and is easy for me remember

Anyone who has been around computer graphics for a while knows that you have to remember
    and take into account all sorts of things that are much more complicated than this.

And keeping things childishly easy is impossible in my eyes.

• @b77 said in Delete Path Segment:

But I would go with it anyway, and think of a way to add the segment highlight later.

That's exactly my thinking too 🙂

Neil