New from template but how to save...

• administrators

@PatrickM Any .vstyler file can be used as a template for a new file.

• @VectorStyler This is a really interesting way to do it because it feels "too loose" like there's not enough structure, but it makes sense as I use it.

I ran a test and created a file and saved it as a regular VS file. then I closed it and opened it as a template and modified it and tried to save it (command-s) and it forced me to do a "save-as" thereby protecting the original from being saved over. (having designed this you know this already lol)
    This makes me expand my idea of a "template" more in a good way. If I have an existing design I need to modify to become a different job entirely (changing the wording but keeping the same art for example) I could always go to that original file and open as a template and be secure in knowing I won't accidentally save over my original work by mistake in the process.
    One could also just include the word "template" in the name of the file if they wanted to have more structure to it all

• @Boldline said in New from template but how to save...:

One could also just include the word "template" in the name of the file if they wanted to have more structure to it all

That's exactly what I do if saving as template, the first word of the file is template , then whatever the filename is 🙂
    I have a special folder called "Vectorstyler Stuff" that I keep in the Documents folder just for templates, settings and workspaces.
    As you say, when opening a template, the filename is untitled which forces you to do a save as.

After the previous discussion on this, I think there are some changes in v1.2 along these lines - akin to a special folder for VS.

Neil

• @Boldline said in New from template but how to save...:

@VectorStyler ...
    I ran a test and created a file and saved it as a regular VS file. then I closed it and opened it as a template and modified it and tried to save it (command-s) and it forced me to do a "save-as" thereby protecting the original from being saved over. (having designed this you know this already lol)

@Boldline Great, thanks ☺ . I was wondering what the difference is between a normal document and a template since each doc can be a template: you can't change it.

• @PatrickM said in New from template but how to save...:

Great, thanks . I was wondering what the difference is between a normal document and a template since each doc can be a template: you can't change it.

If I am understanding you correctly - in VS there's no difference between a regular file and a template aside from what you define it as when opening it.
    So any file can be set up to be a template for your work. If you open that file as a regular file (File>Open), then you can modify it directly and save the changes. If you open the same file as a template instead, (File>New from Template), you can move things around still, but you cannot save over the file. you can only save as. this way, the original file remains untouched for the next time you need it.

• I almost want to have more restrictions and structure like the old days where you could assign a template with an official template file extension. I remember for Illustrator, the template file was ".ait", as opposed to the normal file extension of ".ai". Everything in the template was essentially safe from unwanted editing because you could not save over it at all. If you wanted to adjust the template you actually had to save it out again as a new template lol.
    The VS way seems more open and free - but is close to the same thing. Instead of making a new official template file, literally any file can be a template. I do a lot of derivative projects based on a source project, so for me, I think I will prefer the VS way once I get used to it. I can add the word "template" to any file when I want more structure. Opening a source file in template mode that I know I'm going to be saving out variable edits to gives me peace of mind i won't accidentally erase my original.

• I haven't used templates in VS other than trying to use a .vstyler file as template from VS and that part worked as expected (blank unsaved new document created).

But I don't understand why VS doesn't handle templates like other programs:

• save templates with unique file extension (.vstemplate) and possibly with metadata, so VS knows it's a template regardless of extension
    • it is visible from Explorer, Finder or other programs what is what when working outside VS - setting up file hierarchies outside VS which is what it deps usually do as well as structured designers
    • if you open a template from the operating system, it is not opened as a document, but activated as a template, which is great but also makes templates usable with third party products easier

It's pretty tedious that customers have to name every template as a template, competitors have bypassed that decades ago. 🙂

• To be honest, even in Illustrator, I still always added the word "template" to the file name for dedicated template files simply because it was easier to see than just looking for a letter at the end of a file extension.

• I had a thought about template limitations the VS way as I opened a file by double-clicking or right-clicking and telling it to open in VS -there's no way that I see to designate a file as a template that way. The only way to do so is to open it from within the VS app itself. A file opened in the usual way would also not be able

Would it make sense to add an option in the "document setup" so any file could become a template file even retroactively?

• administrators

@Boldline said in New from template but how to save...:

Would it make sense to add an option in the "document setup" so any file could become a template file even retroactively?

This is possible to add, but not retroactively.

But the issue here is that template files should also be editable as regular documents, in the case if the template is to be modified.

I think what we need here is a better "New from Template" window, that lists previously saved templates or a content of a folder with templates (but will be problems with App Store version).