Arc tool?

• Re: Straight Line Tool

I was looking at the updates in Amadine and that revived my curiosity about adding a dedicated arc tool to VS. @b77 had some good ideas in the linked thread from earlier this year for making an arc using the parametric ellipse tool - and I do like the ability to choose between a pie or an arc by placing your cursor on either side of the line.
    VS is certainly an advanced vector styling program - I wonder how many things should be added that might help bridge the gap between power user and standard user. would an arc tool be a helpful inclusion? I think it would be a solid addition to the pen tool set in the vertical toolbar and not take up too much space or overwhelm people.

On a related note, I've also been thinking about the potential of adding pre-made curves - for example a perfect "s" shape curve, maybe including the golden ratio? I'm thinking of things that are not the easiest to create or could be used frequently.

• Using a special arc tool would be faster than editing an ellipse shape.
    Maybe it should be added as a shape variation of the ellipse.

Regarding pre-made shapes, I guess this will be easy to do after plugin support is implemented.

• administrators

@Boldline I can add this to the backlog of features. Having an arc tool is easy to implement, but from what I see in AI, these arcs are always set at 90 degree.

@b77

Regarding pre-made shapes, I guess this will be easy to do after plugin support is implemented

Yes, if we need parametric shapes. Otherwise, just create shape presets and drag and drop onto a document. Maybe we need a tool that can "draw" a shape from the shape presets (or style).

• I was thinking having these as templates in VS could be a helpful thing - maybe stored under the "guides" section? editable guides that could be turned on for a document. I pulled these from the amadine site but they were what I was already imagining as defaults.
    Using the rule of thirds:
    0_1667501819486_0b4935b3-252c-41b5-ac5f-6d3c8421b65f-BLD 2022-11-03 at 14.56.28@2x.png

The Golden Ratio:
    0_1667501852897_ac410dc2-4537-4475-8c4f-c8539531251c-BLD 2022-11-03 at 14.57.12@2x.png

Golden triangle composition:
    0_1667501894344_86c7ab9d-9ecb-4ab3-8fd9-dd02348ecb54-BLD 2022-11-03 at 14.57.57@2x.png

• @b77 said in Arc tool?:

Maybe it should be added as a shape variation of the ellipse.

Wouldn't this make more sense as a pen tool section addition? or were you thinking of adding parametric options to the arc and therefore place it with the other parametric shape options?

• @VectorStyler said in Arc tool?:

Maybe we need a tool that can "draw" a shape from the shape presets (or style).

I think this would be awesome.

@VectorStyler said in Arc tool?:

from what I see in AI, these arcs are always set at 90 degree.

I'd like to see them be available for 180 degrees as well