Corner rounding algorithm

• @b77 said in Corner rounding algorithm:

@Igull If you selected any of the corner types and it would stick even between sessions
    (what @Ingolf suggested), isn't that OK?
    I see no inconvenience here, and no need for a Prefs entry — you keep the corner type set
    to the first one, others to the second one, and the app doesn't change it to something
    else between sessions.

Agreed.

• administrators

@Igull said in Corner rounding algorithm:

randomly seems to deploy odd-shaped radii to perfectly 90deg corners

Is there a file with an example of this. I would like to replicate this issue.

• @VectorStyler
    Here's a video of a very simple file with two rectangles drawn using the pen tool. Selecting any point on the rectangle then creating a value for a corner - invariably, it doesn't create a corner.
    Selecting the complete rectangle then entering a value for the corner gives weird results, the bottom two corners have different types of corners and different values ???
    Of course, there's no guarantee that I am not doing something completely wrong 🙂
    I've attached a link to the vid ... https://recordit.co/fpRENkANQL
    TIA
    Neil

• administrators

@Igull When using the Node tool, the corner field will not work with the selected node. This works only for the Corner tool (third group of tools).

As for the second part, it is not clear yet why only the bottom corners are rounded. I will try to replicate this.

• @VectorStyler
    More...

I've just been looking at this in more detail, I created the rectangles (closed) using the pen tool - the corner doesn't seem to work properly on that.
    If I create a rectangle using the rectangle tool, it's fine. If I duplicate that rectangle and convert it to curves then create corners, it still works fine.
    There seems to be a difference between manually created rectangles and those created and converted using the rectangle tool. ?

Neil

• administrators

@Igull Can you send me the file with those rectangles that have problems with the corner.

• @VectorStyler

Just sent.

Neil

• @b77 said in Corner rounding algorithm:

@Igull If you selected any of the corner types and it would stick even between sessions
    (what @Ingolf suggested), isn't that OK?

Yes, that would work fine for me.

I see no inconvenience here, and no need for a Prefs entry — you keep the corner type set
    to the first one, others to the second one, and the app doesn't change it to something
    else between sessions.

OK, no probs with that as I would never use the other types anyway (not sure that this isn't actually an indirect preference 'tho 🙂 )

If you want corner rounding applied to a selection of corners (not to all of them),
    you need to first click the rounding handle of that corner (or Shift-click multiple
    corner handles), then dragging should round only those.

Yes, but I don't want to pick a specific corner tool, I just want to select the corner(s) using shape editor tool and then enter the required value in the corner box - a value of zero is no corner obviously - not moving a slider, that's too inaccurate for me - OK for all you arty types that are looking for an effect, not a specific value 🙂

Make a video with the issue you mention (if you can replicate it) and send it
    directly to the developer.

Yes, he has the file now.

Neil

• administrators

@Igull The problem in this example with the corner is the retracted handles. If the control point overlaps the node, than the corner at that node cannot be edited.
    I will try to fix this ASAP.

• @VectorStyler said in Corner rounding algorithm:

@Igull The problem in this example with the corner is the retracted handles. If the control point overlaps the node, then the corner at that node cannot be edited.
    I will try to fix this ASAP.

👍 👍

Didn't we have an issue with something similar earlier this year - bounding box showing when editing using the shape editor ?

Neil