Transform Pivot Point Snapping

• Seems like a day for questions 🙂

VS doesn't have a similar method to AI when accurately rotating objects, it's rotate with snap method simply involves snapping a point on one object to another, then snapping a second point to wherever you want on the other object . Collision snapping on VS is the nearest thing and works well most of the time for me, but sometimes I'm only interested in aligning two points of an object to the horizontal or vertical.
    Currently, the issue for me is that I can't get the transform pivot point to snap to a node, you can only seem to get it close. I've tried various snapping options, but none seem to work. The 'manual' does indicate that snapping should work and that also, hovering over that pivot point should allow you to change it's position (assuming Adjusted Transform Centre is selected in the prefs). TBH, for my requirements at least, this whole rotate thing is a bit too involved to work fluidly - I need to do this a lot and it becomes really tedious.

The question is, I am I missing something about rotation in VS and is there an issue with pivot snapping ?

TIA

Neil

• administrators

@Igull The transform pivot of an object can be adjusted if this first (blue) button is checked in the context panel.
    0_1669392245078_pivot.png

Then if snapping is enabled and Snap to Point (or Snap to Shape) is also enabled, moving it should snap.

The issue could be with the second part: rotating will only snap the angle, and will not snap the point from where the rotation occurs.

• @VectorStyler said in Transform Pivot Point Snapping:

Then if snapping is enabled and Snap to Point (or Snap to Shape) is also enabled, moving it should snap.

Yes, this is where the first issue is, even with the correct snapping options enabled, it never snaps to a node, it seems that snapping for this option is broken 😞
    I wonder if there is a preference on this that I might be missing - I've had a look, but can't find anything ?

The issue could be with the second part: rotating will only snap the angle, and will not snap the point from where the rotation occurs.

Yes, this is where the difference between AI and VS is here, this would be a great option to have - I'm surprised that no-one has asked for this before ?
    I used it all the time in AI and miss it a lot - it is mitigated somewhat by the VS collider tool in many ways - you can use the collision to give the correct angle and then snap a point on the object, but it fails when you want say two points on an object to snap to (say) a vertical/horizontal. A workaround is to create a line between the two object points, group to the object then use collision snapping to a guideline - but then you have all the cleanup of ungrouping and removing the line - really not as tidy as the AI version in this case.

Neil

• administrators

@Igull said in Transform Pivot Point Snapping:

I wonder if there is a preference on this that I might be missing

No preference for this. I will try to find out what is the issue.