Dragging handle into node be made to snap magnetic

• Is it possible to have the handle(s) of any particular node be magnetically snapped to the node creating a cusp on one side for each if the end of the handle is intentionally pulled back over top the node?
    I made a screenshot video - right now if I drag the handle point back over top the node it belongs to, it does not snap to it.
    I know you added an "adjustment" option to the pen tool top toolbar, but I have not played with that yet if that is a factor.

• administrators

@Boldline In the path panel there are two icons (third row, first two icons) that can be used to move the handle over the node (sort of removing the handle).
    Or, enable "Snap to Point" and it should snap the handle to the node when moved close.

• @vectoradmin Thanks - I found the two buttons you mentioned in the path panel and then was also able to find the option to enable snap to point. I like having that set so I can easily make cusp points right in the document without always going back to the panel each time or always clicking away to the contextual menu to do so. I'm glad these options are available in multiple ways
    Going along with what @postdes was saying in his recent comment, I would think snap to point would be on by default. Maybe that's just me.

• Several of us have requested a way to know when we are snapping to a node or another attribute in the design. You added a large red circle with crossed lines. Speaking for myself, I don't think it needs to be really large as it is now. What about a small red circle that appears for a second and then disappears? I included a pic of how it currently looks and a second image of what I am envisioning.

I know for me, I love the way I can pull a node handle in to the center of a node and it creates essentially a cusp point. Illustrator offers this and I love it for it's efficiency. I can do this if I have "snap to point" activated, but then I have no choice if the snap-to indicator is active as well. I might like the indicator more if it was small and less obtrusive - maybe trying that first? But I'm partially hoping for a toggle to show or not show the indicator when snap to point is active.
    Also, the snap to point still seems too strong when adding points with the pen tool close to an existing node in the proximity. Maybe shrinking the radius of influence around existing nodes? It all seems a lot more improved from before, so that is good.. it's getting closer!

0_1615233008429_BLD 2021-03-08 at 14.42.44.png

0_1615233285983_BLD 2021-03-08 at 14.54.26.png

• After turning on snap to point in a document and then opening a new document, I realized I had to turn on snap to point again to have that be active in the second document - it was a setting based on the file, not the program session. I guess that makes sense as people don't always want snapping to any particular thing on by default.

If snapping node handles to the node is created as a default operation, that can be accomplished without requiring the snap to node tool itself to be on, i just realized most of my issues with the snapping would go away since they'd only be on for select purposes.

I noticed today that when I go to move a node in a document with snapping to node activated, it treats the location where the selected node was dragged from as if it were a snapping point - but that can interfere with things if you are trying to move the node close by but not in the exact original location

• administrators

@Boldline I added the snapping indicator improvement to the backlog.

• administrators

@Boldline The original location of points (or objects) is a snapping location. This can be disabled with the Snap to Original option from the snapping panel menu.

Snapping settings are document specific. New documents will inherit the most recent snapping setting. But existing documents (opened from a file) will load their last snapping settings.
    Should this be an option?