Offset path does not cancel edit when task is canceled in panel

• I noticed when using the offset path tool, that if I edit a setting in the offset path panel,and then hit "cancel", it does not go back to the initial shape - i am left with the shape plus the offset edit, just as if I had confirmed the edit in the panel
    Also, when I go to make a new offset path, it automatically uses the previous use settings. Is there a way to make offset path revert back to a default settings each time the function is completed? Or make it an option?

• administrators

@Boldline Was this from the modal view or in the panel? The panel has no cancel option, you have to remove the effect by clicking the delete icon.
    The modal should remove the previewed effect when cancelled if it is a newly created effect.
    To remove effects from objects, use the Shape Effects panel (Panels -> Effects -> Shape Effects) where the effects of selected object should be listed.

• I am not sure if I have an issue that is related, or a topic on its own.. but

1. when I have a path with one or more shape effect applied (in my test case multiple times warp),
    2. and I do not have the path selected (path is blue highlighted in layers panel, but radio button for select is unchecked),
    3. then click on its effect icon in the layer panel to open the shape effect modal
    4. and then close the panel by clicking the cancel button
      the last applied shape effect gets removed.

If you have a series of effects applied, it steps back on each time opening the shape effect modal and closing it via the cancel button. This is visible in the history panel where the shape effect is removed from the stack.

• administrators

@syllie Yep, I can confirm this happens. This is a bug, looks like it is caused by the preview mode. (works ok if preview is not checked).

• @vectoradmin I was using the object>shape>offset path option. It brought up a panel where I could edit the offset path settings.
    Here is a video

using the help section at the top, I saw another offset path option effects>outline>offset path - this one opens a different but similar options type of panel

• administrators

@Boldline The Object -> Shape -> Offset Path is a destructive change on the object shape. The Effects -> Outline -> Offset Path is a nondestructive effect added to the object whose parameters can be changed later.
    I will look into the cancel issue. It seems that the new object was left there.

• ok that makes sense. When using the destructive method - when i do intentionally commit to the change, it leaves a copy of the original shape behind. So I end up with two shapes in the end - the initial shape and the modified shape. I wasn't sure at first if I liked that or not - so used to copying the initial shape to memory, doing an offset path and then pasting in place over top, the original piece again (in illustrator). your method of leaving the initial shape there and creating a new shape means it is not 100% destructive (I can still access the original) and I don't have to remember to make a copy of the initial piece before i use offset path