Paragraph styles panel

1. Just a detail but it would be nice to add 'styles' to the name of the paragraph style panel:

0_1686468319524_ParaSt.jpg

1. It would be useful to add the possibility to create a paragraph style from the paragraph panel:

0_1686468458749_ParaSt2.jpg

as for character styles from the Character panel:

0_1686468557197_Charac.jpg

1. It would be very nice to be able to update an existing paragraph style directly from the Paragraph styles panel.

Thanks ☺

• administrators

@Pat said in Paragraph styles panel:

It would be very nice to be able to update an existing paragraph style directly from the Paragraph styles panel

Does this mean to "edit" or to "apply" to the selection?
    These should be possible now.

• @VectorStyler I meant to edit an existing paragraph style after having applied a modification (to text, spacing, formating etc.). I don't see this possibility:

0_1686471730313_update.jpg

• administrators

@Pat This panel can only edit the style "definition". Highlight a style and then click on the second button at the bottom row.

Please remember, that these styles are "linked" and editing the style will update all its uses.

Otherwise, you have to use the Text -> Paragraph Style menu to edit local attribute overrides.

• @VectorStyler That's the idea of styles: it would be inconceivable to work on a document layout without using styles, at least for text formatting (headings, subheadings, text, table of contents, footnotes and endnotes, etc.).

I used to work on the text formatting in the document, create a style straight away and then make modifications to adjust all the formatting parameters. Then, in InDesign or Affinity Publisher, all you had to do was click on a button to re-edit the style... as simple as that!

In APub:

1. Create a paragraph style:

0_1686481613468_P1.jpg

1. Update a preexisting style after any modification:

0_1686481646370_P2.jpg

• @VectorStyler I'm just testing the paragraph styles. I did a style for the title. The font used is Source Sans Pro. When I check the style in the Paragraph (styles) panel, it says 'Times New Roman'. These data should be identical:

0_1686724849579_PSt.jpg

• administrators

@Pat Send me the file where this occurs.

• @VectorStyler Done, thanks ☺

• @VectorStyler I wasn't clear in my request here (I tested v.1.1.088).

For a document layout, there should be perfect synchronisation between the styles in the styles panel and the parts of text that are formatted by these styles.

First, when a style is created and applied to a piece of text, any changes to the style should be reflected in the text.

Second, a change could be made directly in the body of the text. These changes (font, size, spacing, etc.) should therefore be indicated in the styles panel by a sign (e.g., "+") which means "attention" the text no longer corresponds to the style previously defined.

It should therefore be possible to update the style with the new characteristics of the text without having to create a new style. In the 'Paragraph Styles' panel, it would therefore be appropriate/essential to have a function that allows you to update the style in question.

Thanks ☺

PS: it may already be possible, but I can't find a way to update the style after modifying the text.

• administrators

First, when a style is created and applied to a piece of text, any changes to the style should be reflected in the text.

This should work.

Second, a change could be made directly in the body of the text. These changes (font, size, spacing, etc.) should therefore be indicated in the styles panel by a sign (e.g., "+") which means "attention" the text no longer corresponds to the style previously defined.

This was added in the last build.

It should therefore be possible to update the style with the new characteristics of the text without having to create a new style. In the 'Paragraph Styles' panel, it would therefore be appropriate/essential to have a function that allows you to update the style in question.

There is a bug with this one, fix will be in the next build.

• in Paragraph styles panel:

@VectorStyler I'm just testing the paragraph styles. I did a style for the title. The font used is Source Sans Pro. When I check the style in the Paragraph (styles) panel, it says 'Times New Roman'. These data should be identical:

0_1686724849579_PSt.jpg

The issue is still in v. 1.1.088.

• administrators

The issue is still in v. 1.1.088.

About the font name: when editing the paragraph style, it will edit the style definition, and not what the text is formatted with.
    In this case there is an extra character override, with a font type and size on the selected text.

• @VectorStyler I did not create any character style or override anything: I've just selected a font. It is not like this in layout apps. In InDesign (or APublisher), once a font is selected & a style defined, the correct font appears well in the "paragraph style edit":
    ID, paragraph style
    0_1687023310212_ID.jpg

• @VectorStyler I've just tried out text styles again in VS and so far it's difficult to use them for a page layout.

In a DP app, the style of a paragraph includes, of course, the specifications of the paragraph but also the font and its characteristics (light, bold, regular, size, etc.)

In VS, unfortunately, it seems that the font itself is considered to be an override of the paragraph style. This should not be the case. Only a defined character style should be considered an override.