Application Shortcuts -> search not working?

• Hi - I was trying to figure out what shortcut was available for a certain action, but I had some issues locating things. I tried to use the search box but it did not work.

• First I added my keyword and hit enter -> window closed.

• Next I thought maybe it works as an active filter, and I entered 'close' as that surely occurs in the list of actions -> nothing happened.

Maybe I do not understand how this screen is supposed to work - but currently the search box does not seem to be working.

• administrators

@syllie There is no search for shortcut feature in the Application Shortcuts view for now.
    Should this be added?

• Global Moderator

@vectoradmin said in Application Shortcuts -> search not working?:

@syllie There is no search for shortcut feature in the Application Shortcuts view for now.
    Should this be added?

What is that thing with the magnifying glass, right above the "Cancel" and erroneously named "OK" button at the bottom of the "Application Shortcuts" window?

(note: "OK" is not a verb and thus should not be used as a button label, at least on the Mac)

• administrators

@fde101 That search box is used for searching the action presets in the list above the box.
    The next build will bring some fixes and improvements to the shortcut editor.

• Global Moderator

@vectoradmin said in Application Shortcuts -> search not working?:

@fde101 That search box is used for searching the action presets in the list above the box.

It doesn't seem to work correctly.

If you go into that box and start typing, for example "c", a second copy of the items is added above the ones that are already there, with "File" expanded in the new copy, but the items within are not highlighted or filtered so it isn't really providing much assistance in finding things.

• @vectoradmin I never thought about it until I was trying to find if both a setting existed, and what shortcut currently was assigned. I noticed the search field on the screen and just assumed that was what it was for (not exactly as you explained in this post).

Not sure if you are familiar with for example the keyboard shortcut preferences in VSCode? In the search there I can find either key or action, and the context is listed on the same line. Also the phrase or key that was searched for is highlighted. I find that very handy, but it may not be entirely appropriate for a graphics program.

• administrators

@syllie Search in shortcuts view has been improved in the new build.

On the left side (list of existing shortcuts), click on the left column of the list and press a key combination. The selection should jump to that shortcut. (if a right column field is selected, pressing the key combination assigns a shortcut).

On the right side (list of actions), the item is highlighted now if the action name is found.

• @vectoradmin I see. The search via the left column is not very intuitive, and at this moment quite buggy (also Option should probably be listed as Alt on Win). Example, it does not jump to any non-combination key (like R, P etc), it does not always do a second search (only after clicking the column again), on Ctrl-A it selects the whole column etc. Not sure if I like this implementation at all. Insert on the right column I do understand.

For the list of actions, that seems to work but also here for the first occurrence. How for example do I find the next 'zoom' action? Hitting enter in the box closes the screen.

I do not think this implementation is the best. On the other hand, this functionality is not something I would use often (setting up an app happens when you first use it and then seldomly return to change settings), so not sure how much effort you should put into this.

• administrators

@syllie To continue the search for an action, click on the search icon at the start of the search field.