Why do fill/stroke colors remember the color type (aka sliders) you assigned to them?

• I find it very annoying that every single shape's fill and stroke color remembers the type of color it is using.

For example...

1. Draw a rectangle. By default the colors in the Color Panel are set to RGB so when you assign a fill color to the rectangle it will be RGB.
    2. Now draw another rectangle. Switch to HSB color mode and set the rectangle's fill color to a different color.
    3. Select the Transform Tool and select the first rectangle. The Color Palette changes to RGB because this is what you used to color the rectangle.
    4. Click the second rectangle. Now the Color Palette switches to HSB mode because that's what you used to color the 2nd rectangle.
    5. To make things even more annoying, select the first rectangle, switch to the stroke color, set the color mode the LAB and assign a LAB color to the stroke. Now as you switch between fill and stroke colors the color modes are changing from HSB to LAB.

Imagine you have 50 shapes on the canvas and they all have different color modes set for fill and stroke. I mean, I don't know why would you do that, but I just did an exercise with about 30 shapes and noticed the color in the color palette keep switching modes. I did not know why is this happening and drove me near insanity.

I used quite a few graphics apps in the past and NONE behaves like this so naturally I thought it was a bug until I realized the color mode is being remembered and you can have different color modes for different shapes, and even their fill/stroke colors can have different color modes.

Does anyone finds this helpful? I mean imagine you are doing a CMYK job and by accident (I dunno why) but you end up with a CMYK stroke and an RGB fill and you do a $50,000 print run. What a disaster it can be!

• administrators

@pentool I added this to the backlog and will try to improve it.
    But in VS there will be a mode in which objects keep the color mode as an attribute.
    The result for color conversion should be visible in CMYK display mode using the display profile.

• But in VS there will be a mode in which objects keep the color mode as an attribute.

But why is it important for a user to have the fill color in RGB mode but the stroke in LAB (...as an example) - hence every single color swatch having a color mode attribute? Personally I think this is more annoying than helpful.

For example, I like to work in HSB mode as opposed to RGB. The default palette is full of RGB colors. If I add my own HSB color to this palette then it will be mixed with RGB. Depending on which one you click on, when you switch back to the color wheel/sliders sometimes it will be RGB and sometimes it will be HSB. This is seriously annoying. There's no indication in the Palette panel which color is in what mode. And it's very easy to mix them and get confused when the Color panel is keep switching sliders all over the place and you don't know why it happened.

1. Create a shape and assign a fill color. Unsuspected users don't even know at this point what trap lies ahead.
    2. Since the default is RGB you have assigned an RGB fill to the shape. But that's not what you want. You want HSB. So switch from RGB to HSB sliders. This gives the user the impression that now you are working with HSB colors but this is not true! Because...
    3. You switch to the Palette panel and add this fill as a new color.
    4. You switch back to the Color panel and baaam! You are back into RGB and you can scratch your head why did this happen? Well, it is because once you switch to a new color mode (eg HSB) you specifically have to click on the selected color AGAIN in order to make the assigned color switch from RGB to HSB. And this I find exhausting.

Furthermore I don't see an ability to create a new empty palette. In other apps this is very straightforward and obvious. I am scanning the Palette panel menu and there's no obvious command that says "Create New Palette" or something like that.

So if I don't wanna work with RGB colors and want to create my own HSB color palette, this seems like a chore to figure out how to do this. This is a very basic operation so a person shouldn't start consulting the manual how to create a new empty palette for a specific color mode (eg HSB).

I think when people want to switch to VS they expect interactions to work similarly as in most (if not all) graphical apps - how to select colors and work with palettes, as one example.

• @pentool said in Why do fill/stroke colors remember the color type (aka sliders) you assigned to them?:

I don't see an ability to create a new empty palette. In other apps this is very straightforward and obvious. I am scanning the Palette panel menu and there's no obvious command that says "Create New Palette" or something like that.

The ability to create a new empty palette would be great!

• administrators

@pentool Added these to the backlog, will try have them in 1.2

• @VectorStyler AWE-some! Thanks!

• @pentool Cancel this! If found a menu command in the Color panel's menu: Keep Color Mode! That will make the selected color mode "stick".