Purpose Extra Line Spacing in Paragraph Panel

• Documentation says: Edit the extra line spacing, added to the line spacing obtained from the character heights.

For my ignorance; what is the intended purpose of using 'Extra Line Spacing'?

• to add on top of the % leading?
    • to make it possible to specify leading in mm? (set leading to 0.1% ((smallest value possible) then leading in mm is almost true)

• administrators

@Ayo said in Purpose Extra Line Spacing in Paragraph Panel:

to make it possible to specify leading in mm? (

Yes. Otherwise leading always depends on the font XHeight.

• @VectorStyler
    Wouldn't it be better to use the extra mm leading option as 'OR' instead of 'AND'?

• Leading % font size
    • Leading mm
      Useful!
      The add mm on top of the % leading makes no sense to me.

• administrators

@Ayo said in Purpose Extra Line Spacing in Paragraph Panel:

Wouldn't it be better to use the extra mm leading option as 'OR' instead of 'AND'?

Yes, I thought about this also, but the 'OR' mode allows for a combination of both relative and absolute expansion of line space at the same time.
    For example when we change the font, the relative leading changes (font specific) but the absolute stays.
    I think it allows for a more general combination of options.
    And the 'AND' case is still there by setting one of these to zero.

• @VectorStyler

I think it allows for a more general combination of options.

TRUE, but what is the purpose of use?

And the 'AND' case is still there if you set any of these to zero.

TRUE, but not the first thing you think of from a user perspective.

To compare again with AI. AI converts instantly in the inspector panel.
    If default unit type is points and you type 10 mm, you get 28.3465 (equals 10 mm).
    VS can't handle that.
    That is smart, but not possible in the VS, is in principle not a problem.

• @Ayo
    Epilogue

Traditionally, and from my education, it is customary to specify leading in points. Not percentage. 10/12 or 10/14 for example.

Perhaps better and more self-explanatory to call it 'line spacing'.
    Because the exact definition of 'leading' varies.

This is what Wiki says:
    "In typography, leading is the space between adjacent lines of type; the exact definition varies.

In hand typesetting, leading is the thin strips of lead that were inserted between lines of type in the composing stick to increase the vertical distance between them. The thickness of the strip is called leading and is equal to the difference between the size of the type and the distance from one baseline to the next. For instance, given a type size of 10 points and a distance between baselines of 12 points, the leading would be 2 points.

The term is still used in modern page-layout software such as QuarkXPress, the Affinity Suite, and Adobe InDesign. Consumer-oriented word-processing software often talks of line spacing or, more accurately, interline spacing."

Coreldraw calls it 'interline spacing'
    In the properties, you can choose one of the following units of measurement from the Vertical spacing units list box:
    • % of Char height — lets you use a percentage value that is relative to the character height
    • Points — lets you use points
    • % of Pt.size — lets you use a percentage value that is relative to the character point size

Illustrator uses the name 'Leading' with simply using points if the 'type unit' is set to points.

• @VectorStyler A little more about 'leading'.

1. Strange that (or why is) the leading in the Character Panel is designed differently than in the Paragraph Panel.
      Maybe a better design. The options selector solves the above problem!

0_1698920373223_75094d63-46a6-4049-83c1-90d56ea30f16-image.png
    2. But I doubt whether the relationship between Leading Mode 'Fixed' and 'List of predefined values' gives the correct values.
    Try it!

0_1698920661329_bb282b7f-14be-46a5-99a5-c4e366a34912-image.png

• administrators

@Ayo I opened a bug on this one and will try to replicate it.