Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,

• administrators

@fde101 said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

I do agree that having these options in VectorStyler would be nice (it is a different kind of application).

Maybe this refers to something else, but linked character and paragraph styles are available in VS. There are also linked styling possibility for text frame attributes, or some individual attributes like color. or outline style.

• administrators

Meanwhile, back on topic with VectorStyler, I noticed that if multiple "text shape" objects are selected and you try to change the color, only the color of one of them is changed, not of all of those which are selected. That appears to be a bug.

I could not replicate this issue. Selected multiple text shapes with the pointer tool (make sure that the selection mode is set to the first icon in the context panel). Selected the color from the color panel and it change all text shape colors.

• administrators

@Arde said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

It is great that this is supported also in VectorStyler, but there are still features that cannot be assigned this way (most importantly, paragraph alignment and font fill color).

Paragraph alignment should be changeable on multiple selected frames. If it is not, it is a bug, but I could not replicate it.

• administrators

@Arde said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

I would also suggest changing the behavior so that without a modifier key the corner handle would scale proportionally (and change the point size of the text accordingly -- relative to existing point sizes of the glyphs within the text frame), and distortion would require a modifier key (in addition Affinity apps, CorelDRAW behaves this way, too). But as you mentioned, VS is all about the options, so you might want to make this behavior also on option, to please Illustrator users!

This will be fixed in the next build.

• @vectoradmin said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

Paragraph alignment should be changeable on multiple selected frames. If it is not, it is a bug, but I could not replicate it.

At leat in macOS M1 version, this is what happens (it does not matter, which select mode is active, this happens with all):

...hmm, it seems I cannot attach a video. Anyway, for me it does not work, if I have multiple paragraph text frames and try to make them all align e.g. to right, only the first selected paragraph frame is affected.

• administrators

@Arde Are these frames in the same text flow?

About fill (and outline): these are currently applied to the frame area (when text frames are selected). I think this behavior (filling the frame) should be kept. Maybe this could be fixed with a modifier key, but only for fill color.

Modifier key is not that important, but I think there just should be a separate mode / color wells for assigning color to the text (instead of a frame). Most apps seem to make assigning color to the text fill and outline the primary function, while coloring the frame is secondary (and sometimes can be done only in context of frame/object properties, like in Affinity apps or CorelDRAW). InDesign and Quark allow specifying fill and outline colors for the text and container by offering buttons for switchin the mode.

• Global Moderator

@vectoradmin said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

Meanwhile, back on topic with VectorStyler, I noticed that if multiple "text shape" objects are selected and you try to change the color, only the color of one of them is changed, not of all of those which are selected. That appears to be a bug.

I could not replicate this issue. Selected multiple text shapes with the pointer tool (make sure that the selection mode is set to the first icon in the context panel). Selected the color from the color panel and it change all text shape colors.

Strange, it is working for me now too.

Only thing I can think of, I wonder if I somehow selected a particular fill in the appearance panel and forgot about it or didn't realize it?

In any case, seems ok now.

However, if I create a new document, select the text shape tool, and double-click in two places to add two such objects, then switch to the move tool and try to drag a box around them to select them both, only one of them gets selected. I can shift-click to select the other one, but dragging a box cleanly around both objects is only selecting one.

Are these frames in the same text flow?

No, they are separate objects -- I have meant all the time separate text objects so what is important is that an app allows changing of text attributes of individual text frames when they have been selected so that e.g. all selected objects can be given center aligning, color, language setting, hyphenation setting, etc. in one go. The unique settings will be kept (e.g. each selected text frame can have different point size or font, but the user just picks the attributes that are wanted to be common).

• I can't replicate any of the issues described by @Arde and @fde101, it's working as expected for me.

The only behaviour different from Illustrator is when selecting fields with different fonts and trying to apply the same style to all, i.e. making everything bold, in VectorStyler all the fields will change to the selected font in the font tab, while Illustrator will hide both the font and style and won't let you do it to prevent unwanted result.

• administrators

@Kyriakos Seems that the error occurs if the paragraph attribute (for example alignment) has a local override value. This should be cleared when setting the alignment from the frame, but it is not. This is the big.

Seems that the error occurs if the paragraph attribute (for example alignment) has a local override value.

But I can systematically reproduce this error from fresh restart of VS:

1. Create a paragraph text frame and type something, e.g. Text. It has left alignment.

2. Copy the text frame using the Option key twice so that you have three objects.

3. Select them all, now apply right alignment from the Paragraph panel. Only the topmost text frame has alignment changed.

So no local deviations or conflicts here, there should be three identical separate text frames but only one is affected. Note that the same applies to all paragraph related settings (indent, vertical shift, etc.). Settings of the Character panel however work as expected (are applied to all selected text frames).

• @Arde I can reproduce it now, it seems to happen only if you copy-paste the frame but not if you make new ones.

• administrators

@Arde @fde101 @Kyriakos Yes I also replicated it. Copy paste is the key. This one is a different bug from the override issue.

• administrators

@Kyriakos @Arde @fde101 New build should fix the text frame copy pasting issues.

• @vectoradmin Thanks! So 'Proportional Text Scaling' and 'Proportional Image Scaling' (Preferences > Changing Options) are not enabled by default?

• administrators

@b77 No, they are not enabled by default.

• Is it only me that thinks they should? ☺

• administrators

@b77 I was thinking of what is the expected behavior if having previous experience with a popular illustration software.

• Global Moderator

@b77

My vote would be to enable those two by default, but I recognize that there are some philosophical differences here and different users coming from different applications may have different expectations and desires.

You would think that you would normally want text and images to scale proportionally and that requiring the modifiers to do this means that the modifiers would be needed more often than not, thus the "standard" behavior is the less often useful one. To me this is the more consistent behavior because dragging the object without the modifier does the thing you are more likely to want and dragging with the modifier does the less common thing.

On the other hand, there is a school of thought that this makes the UI less orthogonal in that different types of objects are treated differently when scaling: text scales proportionally without the modifiers while a rectangle scales non-proportionally without, then suddenly the behavior seems "inconsistent" to some people because different types of objects have different behaviors.

In the end, you can't make everyone happy no matter which one you default to, so the more useful thing is to make sure that people have the option to choose which behavior they want by customizing their preferences, and this is now in place.