Saving objects as "assets"

• With v.1.2 I'd like to use VS as the default app for my work and no longer use AffD, and I have a general question about organising the workflow in VS in a very practical way.
    In ADesigner, saving drawings/objects that can be used several times as "assets" is particularly simple. These assets/objects can be always visible (Assets panel) and simply click and drop into the document/artboard.

Very practically, how do I do it in VS? To have many categories and subcategories of "assets"? Is it through the use of distinctive canvas and/or artboards? or through the 'symbols' panel (although these objects are not symbols)? Can I see them all when working?

Thanks ☺

• administrators

@Pat These are Presets in VS. You can save whole object as a preset in the Presets panel (by saving a symbol).
    These will be available in other documents also.

These are called "symbols" but they are not linked to the source (always copied).

Also: a section in the preset panel (like Symbols) can be detached by dragging it away, creating a panel with Symbols only.

And any kind of preset (including symbols) can be organized into folders.

• @VectorStyler Unfortunately, as I expected, copy-and-paste objects from AD into VS are not optimal, nor are svg or eps or pdf files. I don't think objects with multiple strokes and a fill with a gradient and noise can retain these features in VS.

• administrators

@Pat Copy-paste from AD goes through PDF, and that means the flattening of attributes like multiple fills, strokes. Gradient may go through if linear of circular. But noise will become image as there is no noise attribute in PDF.

The internal format of Affinity is not known, so VS cannot import that. But VS can import Adobe Illustrator assets.