Variable fonts not yet supported on Windows version?

• It seems that variable fonts are not yet supported in the Windows version:

0_1618069382156_varfonts.jpg

Styles of this macOS system font show just fine in the macOS version of VectorStyler.

• administrators

@Arde They should be supported. This could be an issue with finding the proper font name.
    If Skia is installed on Windows, you can check if it is a variable font by selecting it in a sample text: the variable font parameter button will show.
    Also if there are variable fonts installed, these should be visible in the font list with a "VAR" icon.
    I will open an issue around missing font replacement when using variable fonts.

• @vectoradmin said in Variable fonts not yet supported on Windows version?:

If Skia is installed on Windows, you can check if it is a variable font by selecting it in a sample text: the variable font parameter button will show.
    Also if there are variable fonts installed, these should be visible in the font list with a "VAR" icon.

"VAR" is shown, but oddly the style that is actually rendered for any style that is specified is "Black Extended":

0_1618073671492_Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 19.51.55.png

The font itself seems to work fine on Windows, this is when adjusted with variable axis in Windows font settings:

0_1618073763121_Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 19.53.09.png

If Skia is installed on Windows

This was, indeed, the system font copied from macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 and installed on Windows so some issues could be expected. But Bahnschrift (= DIN), variable system font that comes with Windows 10, does not work, either, even if there the "Regular" style is used for any pre-defined instance of the font.

• administrators

@Arde I also tested with Bahnschrift. Is there a 0_1618075414180_icon1.png icon next to the font style dropbox? This opens the variable parameters profile.
    It might be that the font styles are not show.

Is there a icon next to the font style dropbox?

Sorry, I missed that part. Yes, there is, and this works. It is just that the pre-defined named instances cannot be used (as they are not even listed) in Windows version of VS

Is there a icon next to the font style dropbox?

PS. It is just unbelievable that you support variable fonts at this level already in version 1! I am an old git that took first steps in this business with CorelDRAW 1.0 and Aldus PhotoStyler 1.0 (an early Windows app that could compete with Photoshop right from the start), and because of the name of your app I have amused myself seeing VectorStyler as a kind of a David that "Illustrator Goliath" is likely to underestimate and take at least some heavy blows. There is great promise and value in this app, so if it does not succeed commercially I hope it becomes the 2D Blender! Not sure if that was encouraging at all, but it was meant to be...

• administrators

@Arde There were some issues with detecting the variable font instances on Windows (and on Mac also). This is now fixed in the new build (1.0.022).

• @vectoradmin Instances are now supported but the sliders do not work linearly on WIndows -- perhaps they are not meant to. Or are they font-dependent? Bahnscrift e.g. chnanges only by steps so that the next instance is activated when adjusting the sliders. But only instances, nothing in between.

• administrators

@Arde Sometimes variable width fonts define these nonlinear mappings. I will check what is the case with Bahnscrift.

• @vectoradmin The latest build seems to linearly adjust both the width and the weight -- thanks!