Node options using the cursor

• @vectoradmin I might be missing something, but when I hold down the option and click or drag over an existing node to change it to a cusp node, nothing seems to happen. The blue circle that comes up doers not need to be there in my opinion; if I'm clicking or dragging on a node to convert it to a cusp, I already know that I'm doing that action. the blue circle gets in the way in my opinion.
    When I press and hold the control key - I get the fly-out menu that gives me options including cusp, smooth, etc... I saw "L" is the cusp shortcut, but when I highlight a node and then press L, it does not convert to a cusp node either...

• @Boldline You need to press Option or Control after you start dragging the Bézier handle.

@vectoradmin Awesome! But… dragging the handle of a cusp node with Ctrl doesn't change it to smooth. 🙂

Later edit: on the Mac it's Command and on Windows it's Ctrl. Got it.

• @b77 @vectoradmin
    ok thanks for explaining - I like how when I hold the option down (after grabbing the handle and pulling) I can move each handle in as a cusp node. Turning on the snap to point helped ensure I was able to get a sharp clean cusp quickly. Also helped to understand it was the command key for mac - should have thought of that myself. How do I use the keyboard shortcut modifier command to turn a cusp node with handles completely hidden?
    Am I right to assume that if I have a node selected, if I hit the letter "L", it will convert that node to a cusp if it wasn't prior? It's still a "cusp" node even if it's not got it's handles pulled in completely to give it that sharp point, correct?
    Is there a way that if we wanted a smooth node to be converted to a cusp, or even a cusp node with it's handles opened wider, giving it a smooth look, that if we held down the option key and then clicked on the node, it would automatically bring the nodes completely inside the node and give it the sharp look automatically? Much like what shift-c does in illustrator?
    I think there's a place for the level of control already in VS with what you have done so far - but it would be nice to have that quick click and go - where points go sharp immediately -both nodes go inside

• @Boldline said in Node options using the cursor:

Is there a way that if we wanted a smooth node to be converted to a cusp, or even a cusp node with it's handles opened wider, giving it a smooth look, that if we held down the option key and then clicked on the node, it would automatically bring the nodes completely inside the node and give it the sharp look automatically? Much like what shift-c does in illustrator?

You could retract the handles under the node by selecting that node and the one after it then hitting 1 to "straighten" the segments: https://recordit.co/P5wsAP3HCw

• administrators

@Boldline To "remove" a handle of a cusp node, select the handle (click on the blue node) and hit Delete. This moves the handle point over to the node.
    Yes "L" will convert the node type to cusp, without changing the handle positions (so it still looks like smooth, but the handles are now independent).
    Other then using the Delete key on both handles separately: an option to "bring in" the handles is in the Path panel, the two icons at the start of the third row do this. (these could be assigned

Maybe a single command where the node selected and the handles are removed could be added.

• @b77 @vectoradmin
    Thanks for sharing those tips - I tried them all and I can find uses for them in my workflow for sure, especially when I am designing new work. It's amazing how many possibilities and tools you've packed in this app already!
    Not trying to make VS be Illustrator - just sharing the things that speed up workflow. There are plenty of times I am editing an existing vector for example, and need to reduce useless nodes quickly and then quickly convert loose smooth nodes to a tight corner quickly - the way the shift-c tool works means I can easily do either operation quickly -(creating tight corners or reintroducing the handles by pulling out from the node with that tool enabled.

• @Boldline and @vectoradmin Maybe Option + 1 could retract the handles on both sides of the node?

• @b77 or maybe option and click on the node itself?

• @Boldline Yes, I would prefer that but currently it's assigned to the tool that joins intersecting paths if I'm not mistaken.

• @b77 gotcha. yeah I wonder if that can be switched. it would be nice to have the option do either cusp action based on whether you click or pull a handle
    I was cleaning up a vector I made in another app in Illustrator and the first few edits, i was doing the shift- c convert to cusp points (equivalent) in illustrator. Decided to take a screen video of that. I actually end up going back and forth at times, using the shift-c to create smooth and hard transitions in the path. I also can see how the current option-click in VS can help with this process as well

• administrators

@Boldline Build 1.0.025 adds the Anchor Node Tool (Shift-C) to adjust anchor points. Modifier keys can be used to swap to cusp, smooth or symmetric modes.

• @vectoradmin Yes! loving it so far! I'll keep testing it and using it and let you know if anything else comes up. This is a big help thank you!