How to select several nodes from one object without damaging nearby objects nodes. Box selection

• How to select several nodes from one object. Is there an isolation mode? This makes work difficult.
    I don't know how to limit the selection of nodes to one shape. The selected area includes the nodes of all objects.
    https://recordit.co/CCCpwINVza

• administrators

@encart Currently the box selection will select any node (not just the current object). This is by design. There is a lasso selection tool, which does the same, but the area can be more specific.

I think there is room for improvement here, some apps select only if the object has been selected, others (like AI) will select any node.

There is isolation mode, but it will not help in this case.

• @vectoradmin The problem was caused by the use of double clicking. To be honest, I am not convinced of this solution and it makes my work difficult due to habits from other programs. I agree that this is a very nice feature, but I would think about activating it in a different way than it is now. I would leave the double click as it is with the competition. I understand that you want to give the program its own unique character, but aren't you afraid that such a drastic change may push away people who have used Designer or AI so far? Personally, I use node editing much more than masking. What are the user reviews?

• administrators

@encart I was thinking of an preferences option on how to handle node selections. Currently VS does the same as AI. On the other hand Designer will only select the node if the object was already selected.

• @vectoradmin I would also prefer the app to select only the nodes of the selected object, and if no object is selected, select every node.

• @vectoradmin I admit, it's hard to come up with something that will not colide with others and make sense at the same time. What about using TAB key or Pressing CTRL when object is selected cause locking selection area to that specific object?

• @encart I would go by default with what makes most sense (restricting the selecting of nodes to the selected object(s)), without having to search in the documentation which special key switches to this or that.

• Global Moderator

It may be a good idea to provide a preference for this?

I would suggest a third option as well, which may be just as sensible as a default: restrict node selection to the selected object(s) if any object(s) are selected, but select from any unlocked object(s) if there is nothing selected.

• @fde101 I'm not sure why you say yours is a third option, since it's not different from what I said. 🙂

• @b77 I agree with your solution. It is the most intuitive and simple. I proposed an additional key because I do not know how big a problem the redesign of this mechanism will be. Especially considering the amount of bindings that are under the hood.