Path Brush tool honors existing color on artboard over palette choice

• I don't know if this is intentional or not - but when I use the Path Brush tool, if my initial stroke overlaps an existing shape or stroke on the art board, it uses those colors to make the new shape and merges the new with the existing. Here's a video of this.
    i can see some benefit to this, but I'm also used to the blob tool in Illustrator, that uses the stroke color you set in the equivalent to VS color panel and creates a new distinct shape over top anything existing on the art board - it only automatically merges with the existing shape if it's exactly the same color to start from.

• administrators

@Boldline This was by design. The path brush tool modifies the shape that is painted over. I can see the advantage of having a color matching, the problem is that shapes may contain other things too (gradients, patterns).

• ok - I can see the value in how you have it. If I want to "cover up something" - how would I do that with the brush unless i made a shape off to the side and then dragged it over top?

• @vectoradmin Is it possible the way i was describing the blob brush in Illustrator could be an optional way of using the Path brush tool? Where it creates an independent fill? I'd actually be fine if it did not imitate the blob brush in terms of auto merging the two if the color used in the tool is the exact same as the one being brushed over top of
    I can see it being handy as you have it set up, but also a distraction

• administrators

@Boldline I added a path brush tool improvement task to the backlog.