Merge Boolean

• I can see myself wanting to use the "Merge' boolean operation more, but I'm so used to the way Illustrator handles it that I'm having a hard time integrating the VS option into my workflow.
    Perhaps if I mention how I use it in illustrator, if someone has a better solution, I'd be willing to try it out.
    in illustrator, If two objects have the same color and you merge them with the boolean there, the fuse together as one shape. If the objects are of two different colors, they will cookie-cutter where they overlap. In this way, color is a factor in the resulting behavior of the boolean operation. I know if the two pieces are the same color, they will merge into one shape - if they are different colors, they will both be cut by the overlap.

I also use merge in Illustrator a lot when I am done with a design and I have a number of overlapping vectors and the like in the design and I need to output a version that is completely flattened - so nothing sits underneath anything else... so I select the entire design and hit "merge" and it compresses it all down so what you see id what you get...
    when I use the merge boolean in VS, even if I have two different colored shapes, they both become one color or the other. This would cause problems when I am trying to flatten a design or even when I am cookie-cuttering one shape from another - I dont want to have to go back in and set the shape back to it's original color.
    Again, I'm open to ideas and help in making VS work for me.

• @Boldline Not 100% sure, but I think objects getting the same color after 'Merge' is not by design — it's a bug.

• @b77 Interesting... are you still working on bugs with the merge boolean operation @vectoradmin ?

• administrators

@Boldline Yes, it seems that there is a bug there.