Alter gradient line as if it were a path

• Could we add a function to the gradient to allow it to be bent and curved like a stroke - through handles and nodes?
    0_1632604648135_164e4191-5240-494d-b73e-afca953d6975-image.png

• @Boldline Simple bending would basically introduce a vanishing point for the linear gradient, turning it into a conical gradient. It would be a nice option to have, and maybe it's not that difficult to code.

Howeverโ€ฆ what happens if the user bends the gradient tool into a sine wave shape? You would need two vanishing points. Further bending would need three, etc.

I guess that quickly becomes too complex, so you're better off served by applying a mesh gradient.

• administrators

@Boldline @b77 This one is a bit complicated, but parts of it already exist.
    The most complicated part would be editing the gradient (this would be a new).
    The trick is to use a gradient on stroke on a shape, with a sufficiently large width and the place this inside the other shape to be clipped (in the Layers panel)

• As I was reading this post, I remembered a video about such a feature
    in "Autodesk Sketchbook Designer" that I once saw.
    (Designer is not the same as the Adobe Sketchbook program).

Sketchbook Designer is a vector/bitmap hybrid that is no longer sold separately,
    but only as part of the Autodesk suite, I believe.

Sketchbook Designer had a lot of interesting and innovative tools for
    the time.

Here's a video:
    At minute 5:50, it shows the gradient fill method that I am referring to.

Video
    bended gradient fill

• administrators

@Subpath2 Interesting tool. It turns a linear gradient into a mesh gradient directly.
    And the one with the pattern, it is basically a mesh distortion.

Maybe something similar can be done in VS (longer term), as all the required components already exists.

• @Subpath2 Thanks for sharing! that is a cool effect and is along the lines of what I was envisioning. The program you referenced did so with a mesh - in my head I was thinking of the altering the linear line in the gradient as if it were a stroke with nodes and handles... I'm all for whatever works best and is most useful to all. The main idea being a way to alter gradients on the fly.
    No matter how it's done - I think it's a great addition to VS whenever that is possible @vectoradmin

• @vectoradmin
    great to hear ๐Ÿ˜‰ No reason to rush.
    Need my time to explore VS further ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @Boldline

Yes, i also think that would be a great addition.
    So 1+ from me for that ๐Ÿ˜‰