Any mirror function in VectorStyler ?

• Hello,

I am trying to creating object using pen tool but to cut down the time of creation, I am wondering any mirror function so that I need to create half of the object and then mirror and duplicate the half object, and click a button to combine it? Right now I am creating half of the object and the duplicate and flip the object and then align it manually and using the path panel to combine 2 objects into 1.

Thank you.

• administrators

@KF It is possible to create dynamic mirrors of shapes, but it will not make the above steps faster.

Dynamic mirroring can be created by creating a reference to a group, and then painting inside the original group. This is way more steps then just duplicate+mirror.

But I'm open to new ideas. What kind of tool would make this faster?

• @KF

Hello

As vectoradmin said it works in VS
    Here is a simple way.

Live mirroring in VS:

• Paint a stroke
    • Go to Edit > click on > Reference
      ( or ALT-CTRL-D (on Windows) )
      This copies your stroke and places
      the copy on the canvas
    • Flip the reference stroke
    • move it to the desired position

Then you have a mirrored copy that transfers any editing to the original stroke.

This is also possible with groups of strokes/objects.

I think symbols in VS have more possibilities, but I haven't used them yet .

• @vectoradmin

"...But I'm open to new ideas. What kind of tool would make this faster?...

Maybe a tool that puts these steps I described here in one click ?

• administrators

@Subpath Added to the backlog, but it will be further down the road.

• @vectoradmin

I don't really need something like that.
    So, no need to rush. Its maybe helpful for Beginners.

I know the concept of symbols from Affinity Designer
    and I like it very much. Also because it is sooo much
    more flexible than just mirroring something.

By the way, I still don't understand the difference between Reference
    and Symbols differ in VS. Where the Advandecs to use Symbols ?

• administrators

@Subpath said in Any mirror function in VectorStyler ?:

By the way, I still don't understand the difference between Reference and Symbols differ in VS.

This object role / reference mechanism is somewhat unique to VS, and it needs some discovering / explanation:

Symbols / references are similar, the difference is where they are stored. References are just symbols (objects) that remain in the document available for editing.

For this maybe it is good to clarify the concept of styles first: each document / canvas / layer /group can have a style set defining styles that can be used inside that container.

These can be any attribute, color, fill, transparency, effect, shape. Most of the attributes of objects can be styled. When styles are used, changing the style will change all instances of that style use (like Character Style in text for DTP).

A symbol is an object (or group) copied into the style set of the document. It is basically just a style that represents a whole object.

References: any style (including a symbol) can be referred from an object. This means for example, that it is possible to define a color style, that has the color taken from an object. Changing the color of that object automatically changes the style color, and all its uses in the document.

One can think of references as virtual styles. And this applies again to everything. For example it is possible to set the shape of several objects to be the shape of a specific object, automatically updating when that object shape changes. Same goes for fill, outline styles, transparency, effects, etc.

References can be defined by setting a name to an object and setting the object Role.

Since symbols are practically just styles, and any style can be also defined virtually as a reference, then referencing an object is just point to an existing object for reuse in a different place.

This mechanism extends to everything in VS, artistic vector brush content, tiling patterns, stroke arrows etc.

• @vectoradmin
    @Subpath

Hello,

By viewing this video https://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/mirror-image-effect-with-photoshop/ I have managed to mirror the image in VectorStyler. The last step is via Object menu > Transform > Reflect, and then merge 2 objects together.

Thanks for help.

• @KF

Dont understand the Video, because is on Bitmap Graphics
    and VS is Vector Graphics. But the Methode will work
    for both. Nice that you found something, that works for you.

Btw. for a simple mirroring of an Object or Stroke.
    Copy and Past it and then Flip it Horizontally/Vertically.
    Its the 4th. Symbol from the Left in the Top Row.
    And merge it later together.

• @vectoradmin

Thanks for your explanation. Will study it when I have
    a little more time.