Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,

• Resize handlers in corners of text field stop responding when text is too small. Handlers are visible and I can still rotate it. To make them bigger again I have to zoom in first .
    Text doesn't keep aspect ratio while resizing by default but only when Shift key is pressed. Coudn't find any setting to make it locked by default.
    Would be great if we could set the size of the text at the beginning by dragging mouse.

I see great potential in your program. Thank you.

/edit

How to exit from writting text mode. Esc doesn't work. Can this only be done by selecting a tool from the toolbar with mouse?

• I was going to add that when scaling the text from its corners the text size in points isn't changing to match the new size, but i think what you said about setting the size of the text at the beginning by dragging the mouse will cover this one as well.

• @vectoradmin Using 'Reset Transform' (Object menu > Transform > Reset Transform) will bring the text scaling value back to 100%, however the text size will stay at 12 pt.

I think text should behave differently — let the scaling value stay at 100% and change the point size instead when scaling text.

• administrators

@encart Thanks for the feedback.
    I added the text scaling issues to the backlog. Currently the scaling is added as a "shape transform" instead of adjusting the font size. I will have to look into how this can be changed.
    The aspect ratio for text will also be fixed.

The only way to exit text editing is to select another tool, or to click away and start another text object.

• @b77 Yes i think it's weird selecting big text and having its size shown as 12pt.

I wouldn't mind if the transform scale was relative to the point scale, i.e. 12pt being equivalent of 100% scaling because the latter isn't based on a physical property to begin with.

• By the way the same issue of being unable to resize the text when too small applies to all other shapes as well, if you make a rectangle that's too small then you can't scale it from its corners, but i suppose this is app-wide behaviour and the fix will apply to everything.

• Tagging on about the scaling of text. Would it make more sense to have text scale in constrained proportion automatically and hold shift when you want to scale it without maintain original proportions? I know Affinity does it without shift held down, Illustrator does it the opposite.

• @Boldline and @vectoradmin
    It's usually bad practice to mess the aspect of fonts when scaling text, so this is what users will want most of the time — proportional scaling. So I would also prefer proportional scaling of text by default, and a keyboard modifier for special cases.

The only thing against this is that maybe some users will find it confusing — why shapes can be resized freely and scaling text is not.

• @b77 I understand what you are saying about it being bad practice to mess with the aspect ratio of fonts - they were designed for a reason, etc.... as a apparel art designer, I mess with fonts all the time lol. they are rarely the way i want them right out of the box so to speak 🙂

• @Boldline Can we see an example? You know, so the developer can decide wisely… 😀

• Global Moderator

@Boldline said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

Tagging on about the scaling of text. Would it make more sense to have text scale in constrained proportion automatically and hold shift when you want to scale it without maintain original proportions? I know Affinity does it without shift held down, Illustrator does it the opposite.

The default behavior of the Affinity products is to scale text and images proportionally and most other objects non-proportionally without use of a modifier. This makes sense to me, because it is doing the more likely thing "normally" and the less likely thing with the modifier.

However, enough people complained about this so-called "inconsistency" that Serif eventually added a preference to do it this smart way (which they term "Automatic"), or to always constrain or never constrain without the modifier (in each case using the modifier key to get the other behavior).

@vectoradmin said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

I will have to look into how this can be changed.
    The aspect ratio for text will also be fixed.

I would suggest scaling it this way only if the text is being scaled proportionally. You also have the consideration of text which is part of a symbol or a group - trying to scale those in the suggested manner may cause problems...

• administrators

@fde101 I think having an option for this is the way yo go (and maybe have it off by default).
    Scaling groups (and symbols) will of course remain non-proportional, regardless of this option.

• @vectoradmin said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

@fde101 I think having an option for this is the way yo go (and maybe have it off by default).
    Sc

As an additional note: Affinity apps allow scaling of paragraph text with an additional corner handle (outer than the frame resizing bottom right corner handle). That's ok feature though not so necessary in context of paragraph text.

But related to paragraph text frames, where the issue of difficulty to graph the handle without zooming in: could the plus sign allowing flowing the text (creating and linking to other text frames) be placed a bit higher and be black if there is no unflown text (and red only if there is text that is still to be flown).

I think it is ok to have the plus sign so Affinity style "eye" is not necessary (though of course useful if there are issues with seeing colors). On the other hand, InDesign style (+ inside the square only if there is still text to be flown and empty square if all has been flown; a new link and text frame can still be created by clicking an empty square).

Here is still a screenshot from InDesign to illustrate this:

0_1616668880429_textframes_in_indesign.png

InDesign also allows resizing the text contained in a paragraph frame if you hold down Ctrl/Cmd + Shift. It always happens constrained so basically it is only a method to change the point size of the text contained (currently) in the affected text frame. Affinity apps instead keep the text attributes assigned as per paragraph text frame, which IMO is not a good solution (well, different anyway). A graphic design / drawing app of course has a bit different scope and use than a page layout app so perhaps there is point in having some flexibility and power-edit features at hand (as you have everywhere else). On the other hand, having a robust text tool (something that you do not yet have) is very important so perhaps it is better to add new features only later.

• Global Moderator

@Arde said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

As an additional note: Affinity apps allow scaling of paragraph text with an additional corner handle (outer than the frame resizing bottom right corner handle).

Yes, this is rather limiting compared to the way it is implemented in QuarkXPress for example. In QuarkXPress you get this behavior by holding down the command key (Mac) while dragging one of the handles. This has the advantage of working from any corner or side, where the Affinity products only provide this form of scaling from one corner of the text box.

• @fde101 said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

Yes, this is rather limiting compared to the way it is implemented in QuarkXPress for example.

On the other hand, Quark is quite limited in many other ways. E.g., it does not allow changing properties of multiple selected text frames in one go (I have still version 2018 so this may wall have changed in later versions).

This is an important feature. I can see that VS allows change of text attributes in chained text frames using object selection, which is a good feature (even is potentially a bit hazardous; this is not allowed in InDesign, probably for a good reason). But unchained text frames should be editable by object selection so that text attributes can be assigned in one go. VS allows this but there are still significant limitations. While e.g. text size and many stylistic attributes can be selected in one go, I could not see a way to change the font color or paragraph alignment in one go (these are important features in a drawing app, even if you have text in paragraph text frames, though having text in styles and layers of course offers other means to control text attributes effectively):

0_1616670536418_multiple_paragraph_text_frames.png

Perhaps I was missing the way to do this, but I think there should be a separate well (and possibly a modifier key) so that you can assign a text fill color (and possibly outline color) also when having text frames selected.

The feature to have paragraph text converted to shape text and vice versa is very useful!

• Global Moderator

But unchained text frames should be editable by object selection so that text attributes can be assigned in one go.

The text styles you seem to be referring to are properties of the text, not of the frames. As you can't select text across multiple frames you won't be able to update the styles of the text (as it is not selected - the frames are); that much seems rather obvious?

In any case, text styles should be used instead of applying those attributes directly, and those work across the entire document, whether the frames are selected or not. This may not be as fast and straghtforward for a smaller more art-centered project such as a poster or similar, but I kind of see QuarkXPress as being more optimized for longer-form documents such as books and magazines where it would be too much of a hassle NOT to use text styles as they are intended. Use of "local" formatting is usually a mistake in such documents.

I do agree that having these options in VectorStyler would be nice (it is a different kind of application).

If instead you happen to be referring to properties of the frames themselves (such as borders), I can change those for multiple selected frames at the same time at least in QuarkXPress 2020.

Granted that each of these programs has its pros and cons; I am certainly not arguing that point.

Meanwhile, back on topic with VectorStyler, I noticed that if multiple "text shape" objects are selected and you try to change the color, only the color of one of them is changed, not of all of those which are selected. That appears to be a bug.

• @fde101 said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

The text styles you seem to be referring to are properties of the text, not of the frames. As you can't select text across multiple frames you won't be able to update the styles of the text (as it is not selected - the frames are); that much seems rather obvious?

E.g. InDesign, Illustrator and Affinity apps allow specifying paragraph alignment, character style and font fill and outline color when multiple individual text frames are selected. They are text properties, not frame properties, but they are applied by selecting text frames. Quark is about the only graphic app I know that does not support this.

0_1616677235832_text-attributes-applied-using-text-frame-selections.jpg

Even if it is more effective and ideal to have text properties defined as character and paragraph styles, often this has not been done (when needing to edit a job done by someone else; quick changes across different styles / fonts as above, are also useful especially when starting a design and creating alternatives. It also allows quick unification and checking that text objects have uniform settings (e.g. correct font size, language, color model, etc. etc.

It is great that this is supported also in VectorStyler, but there are still features that cannot be assigned this way (most importantly, paragraph alignment and font fill color).

• @vectoradmin said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

I added the text scaling issues to the backlog. Currently the scaling is added as a "shape transform" instead of adjusting the font size. I will have to look into how this can be changed.

I would say that not reflecting vertical sizing changes to vector shape text frame in point size is a clear bug. Point size refers to the height of the font and must be changed accordingly even if the text is distorted (e.d. distorted vertically). If it is stretched horizontally then the point size should remain.

I would also suggest changing the behavior so that without a modifier key the corner handle would scale proportionally (and change the point size of the text accordingly -- relative to existing point sizes of the glyphs within the text frame), and distortion would require a modifier key (in addition Affinity apps, CorelDRAW behaves this way, too). But as you mentioned, VS is all about the options, so you might want to make this behavior also on option, to please Illustrator users!

• administrators

@Kyriakos said in Can't grab resize handler when text field is too small,:

By the way the same issue of being unable to resize the text when too small applies to all other shapes as well, if you make a rectangle that's too small then you can't scale it from its corners, but i suppose this is app-wide behaviour and the fix will apply to everything.

This will be fixed in the next build.

• administrators

I could not see a way to change the font color or paragraph alignment in one go

Paragraph alignment should change for multiple selected text frames (both from the Paragraph panel, or from the context panel on the top). I just checked this and it seems to be working.

About fill (and outline): these are currently applied to the frame area (when text frames are selected). I think this behavior (filling the frame) should be kept. Maybe this could be fixed with a modifier key, but only for fill color.