Corner Fulcrum Bug ?

• @Igull said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

TBH, any shape I create with the pen tool is 'parametric' - I can change it's width and height πŸ™‚

I used this word to refer to "smart shapes" that let you change specific properties of the
    shape β€” side bending for rectangles, pie shape size derived from an ellipse, sides count
    and bending for polygons, ray count and ray length for stars, etc.

So I referred to the properties that cannot be adjusted anymore after the 'smart shape'
    is converted to curves.

• @b77, @Igull

yes, meant the smart shapes

• @Subpath @b77

Yes, OK on the smart shapes, but nevertheless, it doesn't matter whether it's a smart shape converted to curves or a simple rectangle created with the pen tool (I'm just about to add a post on that too πŸ™‚ ), the fact remains that if you resize the object, you can no longer add symmetrical radiused corners to the object and there seems to be no way around this issue.
    This is fairly serious - for me at least πŸ™‚ There needs to be a way to reset those corner centre points.

Neil

• @Igull said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

@Subpath @b77
    you can no longer add symmetrical radiused corners to the object and there seems to be no way around this issue.

As a workaround for now, revert the rounded corners to zero and hit the 'Convert to Curves' button,
    and it will let you add symmetrical radiused corners again.

• @b77 said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

As a workaround for now, revert the rounded corners to zero and hit the 'Convert to Curves' button,
    and it will let you add symmetrical radiused corners again.

Nope, that doesn't work - if you already have a rectangle created with the pen tool, you can't get back to that position - the centre points move as soon as you resize the rectangle (smart or otherwise).

Neil

• @Igull Yes, a rectangle made with the Pen tool is a "dumb" rectangle. πŸ™‚

If I apply rounded corners to it then decide that I need to resize the rectangle non-proportionally,
    bring the rounded corners back to zero (no roundness), then pressing 'Convert to Curves' resets
    the rounded corner handles to equal distance from the corners:

alt text

It's a workaround…

• @Igull , @b77

A alternative way to resize a "dumb" Shape
    and keep round Corners intact, is to do this
    with the "Shape Editor Tool"

See Video here

0_1673687642177_Corner.png

• @b77 said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

If I apply rounded corners to it then decide that I need to resize the rectangle non-proportionally,
    bring the rounded corners back to zero (no roundness), then pressing 'Convert to Curves' resets
    the rounded corner handles to equal distance from the corners:

Not here it doesn't πŸ™‚ There must be some difference in preference set between us that I don't know about ?
    Forget actually adding corners for now, if you create a rectangle, convert shape to curves then resize the rectangle non-proportionately - say just pulling one edge, you can see that the corner radius centres are miles off being symmetrical ?? Doing another convert shape to curves does nothing ?

TIA

Neil

• @Subpath

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see the issue !!!!!!!!

You are using the pulldown from the shape palette, I'm using the menuitem convert shapes to curves which I have permanently on my right-click contextual menu !!!

When I use the one on the shape palette, it actually works.

I now see why, there are two Object menuitems, one is convert shapes to curves the other is convert to curves (Shift+Opt+O) - maybe just a tad confusing ????

The shape palette actually says "Convert the select object shapes to curves (Shift+Opt+O)" whereas the object menuitem says convert to curves (Shift+Opt+O) !!

Perhaps this all needs rewording :-))

I'm quite happy to just reset the corner centres for now, but this is all a bit confusing for the over sixties πŸ™‚

Thanks

Neil

• @Igull

If you look at the Corner Panel > Panels > Corner
    down below at the right side the X in circle
    will delete all rounded corners from a selected shape

btw you can create a Action for the needed Steps
    see pic below
    ( unwanted recorded Steps can be deleted in the Action Panel)

0_1673722306098_corner-action-1.png

• administrators

@Igull said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

Resize the rectangle using the width and height boxes

Question regarding the original post:
    Do you have the "Direct Shape Transformation" option enabled in Preferences -> Editing Options 2 (bottom right checkbox) ?

• @VectorStyler said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

Question regarding the original post:
    Do you have the "Direct Shape Transformation" option enabled in Preferences -> Editing Options 2 (bottom right checkbox) ?

No, I don't πŸ™‚

I've set that now and the issue has gone !!!! I've tried with various shapes and none are an issue when resized now - just perfect, thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Neil

• administrators

@Igull said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

tried with various shapes and none are an issue when resized now - just perfect

Not yet! I think paths should also support this direct shape transform and I added it now.

• @VectorStyler If the next build will have changes related to all this, please explain the changes here when it's released.

• administrators

@b77 said in Corner Fulcrum Bug ?:

@VectorStyler If the next build will have changes related to all this, please explain the changes here when it's released.

Before I forget:

The only change that will be in the next build is that when a free path (not parametric shape) is scaled or rotated and the "Direct Shape Transformation" is enabled (already exists), then instead of adding a "nondestructive" transform to the object, it will just scale the path, leaving the corners "rounded".