File name passing during printing

• TBH, I'm not completely sure this is a VS issue, but I'll mark it as so for now (I can't be 100% sure, but I don't recollect seeing this before when using VS to cut parts).
    When I Print files to my laser cutter (the interface is essentially a printer driver), the software accepts the file name as the name to store in the laser cutter software.
    OK, I print the first file XYZ1 say - that's fine. I then print XYZ2 - the data is correct for that file, but the file name remains as XYZ1 😞
    I've updated to the latest 076, rebooted the "PC" (I use Parallels on my Mac as a PC emulator - Win10 - really doesn't ever have any issues (as I only ever use one application - other than the proverbial PC issues, spit 🙂 ) - I've even rebooted my Mac (unheard of 🙂 )
    The issue remains. It really wouldn't be a problem under normal printing to perhaps an inkjet, but the laser software stores the parts files under the filename - and as they are all the same, this is just a little unhelpful 🙂
    Sadly, I can't simply change the filename at the laser cutter end - the laser company is completely unhelpful in that respect (still in the 20th century) - Universal Laser - great lasers, absolutely CRAP and very expensive software and extremely unhelpful when it comes to modifying it (unlike VS, which is at the completely opposite end of the spectrum /rant )
    Any thoughts ???

TIA

Neil

• administrators

@Igull I will try to fix this issue in VS side.

• @VectorStyler

I revisited the issue this morning as I really needed to get this job completed. It seems that it is something to do with save as a copy.
    I started with one master file with all the parts on it, then saved seven as copies - renaming each. Once they were saved, each file was then trimmed down and saved to give seven individual files.
    This morning, I did a simple save as on a couple of the files and the file name transferred over OK, so I've done the same for the rest.

I would normally do a save as anyway, but for some reason, chose to use save as copy 🙂

Hope that helps.

Neil

• administrators

@Igull This reminded me of one possible cause: check what is in the Document Setup -> Name filed of those files that were saved as copy.
    Could be that this document name is the one sent to the printer.
    In which case, the workaround is to change this name in the document setup.

• @VectorStyler said in File name passing during printing:

@Igull This reminded me of one possible cause: check what is in the Document Setup -> Name filed of those files that were saved as copy.
    Could be that this document name is the one sent to the printer.
    In which case, the workaround is to change this name in the document setup.

Yes, you are correct, the document setup name does not reflect the actual name of the file 🙂
    This must be the name that the laser picks up rather than the actual name. I also noticed a similar problem when I renamed a couple of files via the OS - the laser still used the old name.

Neil

• administrators

@Igull This issue should be fixed in build 1.1.080