Were objects dragged into a VS from outside sources set to be links by default now?

• I did not realize this change had occurred where the default was now to link instead of embed, so I have a number of files from the past week or so that all give me link break warnings every time I open them.

Is there currently a way to know what in the file needs to be reconnected? For files that are accidentally and unknowingly linked to source material that is no longer possible to re-link to? For example, when I have used a 3rd party vector trace and dragged in the result into VS, that trace result is not saved in the third party app to link back to - it's only "staying alive" because I dropped it into a VS file for use there.

What do I need to do with files asking for a re-link when I never intended there to be a link to begin with? @b77 mentioned he thinks 'Expand Content' is equivalent to AI's 'Embed' button; would I need to select everything in the file with the broken link and use "expand content" to be sure there are no hidden objects with broken links?

• @VectorStyler said in Were objects dragged into a VS from outside sources set to be links by default now?:

@Boldline The "Linked Document" feature is for something else.
    it is for reusing styles and symbols of an other document, without importing it.

would it make sense to have a dedicated panel for links? In that panel have all links listed with an indicator that signals the status of the link? you could click on that listed link and have it select the object(s) in the document that are broken?

Is there an option that could scan the file for broken links prior during the save process or as an option that can be checkmarked in the save options to do so? I'd love to know when I am saving a file that has a broken link before i close it all out so I can either embed it or make sure it remains linked for later. If a file I open already has a broken link, I'd want to be able to know what is broken and where it is

• would it make sense to have a dedicated panel for links?

VS has a Links panel (Panels menu > Links).

• @b77 Thanks I see it in the panels now. I had checked the panels menu first and somehow missed it - then did a search for links in the search box and found the other options like "document links"

I found the documentation on the links panel - really in depth and powerful tools in there. I feel like more could be done to make it easy to follow as a user, but I will check this more often to be sure I don't have link issues

• What do these icons here represent? I did not see that in the documentation

0_1675468406455_a501eae4-2e9d-4ad1-aec4-f310231f072d-BLD 2023-02-03 at 18.52.43.png

• administrators

@Boldline Indicates that the link is missing.

• @Boldline 'Expand Content' has been renamed to 'Expand Linked Files' in 1.1.077.

• @Boldline Btw, what is the equivalent to AI's 'Embed' in AD?

• @b77 said in Were objects dragged into a VS from outside sources set to be links by default now?:

@Boldline Btw, what is the equivalent to AI's 'Embed' in AD?

@b77 this is handled through the Resource Manager where can either Link or Embed.

• @William-Kansepa Thanks.

Maybe 'Embed Linked File' is the right word for this instead of 'Expand'.
    Besides that, it should help both AI and AD users make the connection.

(I'm also not sure the Styles menu is the right location for it)