Transform center sometimes not where visually indicated

• Hello,

I haven't found a way to reproduce this reliably, unfortunately, but quite often the transform center of an object isn't where the blue dot indicates it is. This yields to some very irritating effects like other objects having an unwanted offset when moved inside that object ( with the faulty center ) with the "move inside last" command. It's also pretty hard to tell what's wrong when one isn't constantly aware of this problem, so it's incredibly time-consuming to fix this. The way I can tell this is what's going is by resetting the center. This get's rid of the problem, but obviously isn't a solution, since this reveals I have been applying transforms with a wrong center...

Is there any awareness of this problem ( since I don't know how to reproduce it ) ?

Thanks for your time.

• administrators

@Nils It would help if this could be replicated.

Does it occur when placing an object inside another in the Layers panel?
    The actual transform center of clipped groups, may depend on the clipping shape origin.

• @vectoradmin I'll try to reproduce it. In the meantime, I think one thing that would alleviate this one and also make my workflow ( and I suspect others's too ) a lot more enjoyable would be the ability to have VS automatically apply a transform that, when combined with the parent one, results in the object that's moved inside staying where it is and keeping its shape untransformed when moving objects inside other objects. For me at least, this is exactly what I want to happen when I move an object inside another one for the purpose of decorating that object, using it as a clipping mask. What currently happens seems not be of much use to me. That is, I don't see the point of having the child be transformed by the parent when moving it inside, although I do understand if this is simply not yet implemented or a current limitation.

Is this currently possible?

With all the superior features that VS provides over even Illustrator it's easy to accept most of VS's remaining little nuisances, but this one is quite the show stopper for me.

• administrators

@Nils When moving an object inside another one, the parent transformations will apply (by default).

This means that a "reverse" transform is added to the inner object to keep it the same. At least, when doing this with drag&drop in the Layers panel, it should be the case.

https://recordit.co/RXp0RRiVQw

But when using "Object -> Arrange -> Move Inside Last", this is not the case (reverse transform) so I add this to the backlog (as a bug) to behave the same way.

• @vectoradmin That would be great if it worked there aswell, since the shortcut is quite nifty. Thanks! As for the center bug, I couldn't reproduce it. If it somehow occurs again, I'll upload it as a project file...

• administrators

@Nils There should be improvements to this problem in build 1.1.024

• @vectoradmin Hey, good news and bad news on this one:
    good: There doesn't seem to be any problem regarding the transform center anymore, which is nice.
    bad: However, the displacement still happens with "Object > Arrange > Move outside container". But now I was able to pinpoint this to a transform shape effect on the container, which should make fixing this a lot easier, I guess.

I've sent you a file. You can move the object outside the container via any method to see it happening and then do the same thing after having disabled the transform shape effect. Then you'll see that it doesn't happen anymore.

• administrators

@Nils Got the file! I will add this to the backlog as a separate bug.

• @vectoradmin UPDATE:

This same displacement bug happens in the transform shape effect situation when applying a shape aswell. I assume these are deeply connected?