Role - ..bugs?

• Hello,

so while exploring the concept of roles, symbols and reference canvases I noticed a couple of unexpected behaviors:

• trying to associate a reference canvas with a role failed in every of the following ways ( provable by noticing the missing checkmark under ""More Roles" afterwards )
      • setting on an existing canvas
        • via Canvas -> Canvas Role -> Choose Role
        • via Canvas -> Canvas Role -> More Roles -> Select and click Ok
      • creating a new reference canvas in either of the two ways above
    • on a given reference canvas, when creating an object ( for example an ellipse ) and setting the symbol role on it ( I didn't check for other roles yet, but may happen there aswell I guess ? ), the following behavior can be observed ( reproducibly )
      • after VS is started and the above action is done the first time, a symbol is created successfully every time
      • each subsequent action may fail or not with seemingly the only consistencies noticeable being ( I constrained the scope of testing to the various shape primitives available through the tool bar for simplicity )
        • fails once a shape of a different type than that of the first one is used
        • fails each subsequent time as soon as a symbol is created in that way and then deleted
        • the failure of creation seems to be caused by the object not accepting the role ( role can only be seen as checked under "More Roles" in the first symbol created )

I know, especially the second problem seems weird, but it can definitely be observed reproducibly as described. I recommend to just experiment with the primitive shapes. I have not been able to reliably get symbols from object roles working and need to resort to creating them with the plus button, which of course makes for cumbersome updating...

• administrators

@Nils This seems to be a serious bug, will fix it ASAP.

Problem 1 can be replicated here too, and there is more to it unfortunately.

I could not replicate problem 2. One important thing to note, that besides the role, the object must also have a name assigned. This can be done by setting a name in the Layers panel, or in the Object Options view.
    The names shown with {} are synthetic and not sufficient for this case.

• @vectoradmin About problem 2:
    I did read in the docs that a name is required. However, for some reason I can see the symbol still appear if I don't assign the name in the layers panel beforehand. For the first created that is.

Strange that you can't reproduce it. Could this be OS dependent ( am on Windows 10 )?

EDIT: After some more testing situation 2 I noticed that If I insist on trying multiple times setting the role it eventually works. Some work after the first time, some work only after a couple more times. It's almost as if it were some kind of connection error...

• administrators

@Nils I will try to replicate problem 2

• @vectoradmin Since you couldn't replicate 2.:

https://i.imgur.com/hsVh2cn.mp4

A lengthy video that displays the faulty behavior on my side.

• administrators

@Nils I think this might be a problem with the popup context menu on Windows, there were some issues with popup menus on Windows in previous builds.
    For me (on windows only), selecting the role of the second object with the popup menu failed.
    So the key here is using the right click menu.

Workaround for now: try using the Object menu -> Object Role command or the Role button in the Object -> Object Options view.

• @vectoradmin Update:

• the Object Menu -> Object Role -> Role Type command fails for me in the same way
    • luckily the "Role" button in the object options finally works reliably for me

• administrators

@Nils These problems should be fixed in build 1.1.024

• @vectoradmin Can confirm, they're all fixed. Nice!