Rotate tool snapping

• The rotate tool won't snap to the angles set in the preferences while the node tool rotation does.

• @Nils It works here…
    Can you confirm you changed it in Preferences > Editing Options > Angle Constraint?

• @b77 Of course. The issue isn't the angle. The snapping is working for the node tool rotation, just not for the rotate tool...

Quick question if I may. Do you know something about symbol overrides? I'm currently struggling with how to overrid symbol attributes. The docs say it's supposed to be possible but then they say that symbols can only be edited on canvas and in the modal edit view you can only select another symbol for the override, which makes no sense to me.

Why override a symbol with another symbol instead of just using the other symbol?

• @Nils Not directly relevant, but can you clarify what you mean by 'node tool rotation'? Using the Rotate tool to rotate multiple selected nodes?

Anyway, on the Mac all rotation snaps to the angle constraint if you press Shift before or after you start rotating.

• @b77 Currently the tooltip of the tool in VS says "Transform tool", but for some reason I got the impression from the docs that this was once called "Node tool", which is why I used that term. I'll use the current tooltip names from now on.

• @Nils said in Rotate tool snapping:

for some reason I got the impression from the docs that this was once called "Node tool"

The second tool (Shape Editor, shortcut: A) might have been called that. And still is… unofficially. 🙂

Well, somebody else running VS on Windows might test this with the Rotate tool (shortcut: Shift-R) and report back.

• administrators

@Nils said in Rotate tool snapping:

@b77 Of course. The issue isn't the angle. The snapping is working for the node tool rotation, just not for the rotate tool...

tried to replicate with the Rotate tool, but snapping (while holding Shift) works here on Windows.
    post the icon of the tool that you use for rotating.

Quick question if I may. Do you know something about symbol overrides? I'm currently struggling with how to overrid symbol attributes. The docs say it's supposed to be possible but then they say that symbols can only be edited on canvas and in the modal edit view you can only select another symbol for the override, which makes no sense to me.

Why override a symbol with another symbol instead of just using the other symbol?

Style Overrides:

• it applies to Styles used inside symbols.
    • lets say we have a color style "color1" and we used it inside a symbol (to fill a shape).
    • when we select instances of a symbol, or the symbol, the color will show up in the symbols panel.
    • the override can "redefine" the color style locally (inside the instance only).
    • other symbol instances are not altered.
    • can also use style override to replicate styles inside a layer only (leaving other layers with the original or other overrides).

Symbol Overrides:

• the symbol instance is just a regular (shapeless) object containing a style that refers to the symbol.
    • this style can have an override.
    • not very useful directly on the symbol.
    • but it is useful for symbols inside groups or layers.
    • or symbols inside other symbols.
    • can also have override on a canvas, and other canvases (having the same symbol) can have different overrides or the original.