Find/Replace Question

• Is it possible to use Replace (Find/Replace Function)
    to replace a Shape with another Shape and retain the
    previous size for each object?

I know the way @b77 described in this Thread here.
    But with this method, all replacements have the same size.
    https://www.vectorstyler.com/forum/topic/2028/how-to-create-letters-made-of-circles/12

And I know that there are some additional options in the Find/Replace function.
    But I could not find a solution for my question above.

So, maybe someone with more knowledge than me can help me out?

Here a Picture what i mean.
    0_1653419213348_Replace Circles but keep Size.png

And thanks in advance

• @Subpath It would be cool to be able to do this, but I don't know if it's possible.

• administrators

@Subpath Not possible with ellipse and rectangle shapes, because these are not "scaled" when the Transform tool is used. For these shapes, the Transform tool modifies the shape parameters.

One way to go around this is to have the circle converted to curves before scaling to various sizes and then duplicate and scale.

I will add an option (in the next build) to use scaling instead of changing shape parameters for all shapes.

• @b77 said in Find/Replace Question:

It would be cool to be able to do this ...

Indeed, not only cool also realy helpful e.g. for Pattern making to test/change different Shapes

• Thanks @VectorStyler

I already noticed that for Circle and Square no transformation effect
    is shown in the Shape Effect Panel. Only if they were transformed in curves.

But in the end circle and square stand for any shapes.

• administrators

@Subpath A different way to implement shape replacing is to use shape styles (or shape roles):

• create a circle.
    • open Objects -> Object Options and set a name, and set the shape role.
    • draw another shape (can be a circle).
    • select the Shape style from the context panel Shape drop down to the name set in the second step.
    • duplicate and scale this shape.
    • now edit the original shape, or:
    • create other shape styles (with object role) and select the shape style on multiple shapes.

• Will show some thoughts and a few finds about that Idea later here.
    Since I'm away from my desk for a while.

• @VectorStyler

Even if it is not the method I had in mind.

But Wow, the Method you have described here blows my mind,
    VS is such a crazy Tool.

What I find interesting and find out about your method is that the relation of proportions
    will be preserved if i change the Size from the Original Shape.

Must explore this possibilities a bit.

• @VectorStyler said in Find/Replace Question:

I will add an option (in the next build) to use scaling instead of changing shape parameters for all shapes.

You mean a 'Preserve Size' or 'Keep Transform/Scaling' inside the Find/Replace window?

• administrators

@b77 said in Find/Replace Question:

You mean a 'Preserve Size' or 'Keep Transform/Scaling' inside the Find/Replace window?

No, this would be an option in preferences, and when disabled, shapes like rectangle, ellipse and text are scaled by adding a transform effect, just like other shapes.
    The option will be enabled by default.
    BTW: this option already exists, but it was not accessible in preferences.

• @VectorStyler Maybe I'm obtuse, but why hide this option in the Preferences, when you could always have it in the Find/Replace window, to enable or disable on a case by case basis?

Also, I'm not sure that having two different behaviors — one for parametric shapes and one for converted shapes — is intuitive and user-friendly.

• administrators

@b77 said in Find/Replace Question:

have it in the Find/Replace window, to enable or disable on a case by case basis?

It has little to do with find / replace. It affects how the Transform tool scales objects.
    Maybe the option could be in the Transform panel menu?

• @VectorStyler OK, since the object size is the cause of complications here, maybe there's a third way:

Can the replacement object adopt the "dumb" size of each of the replaced shapes (as if they are converted to curves, minus rotation, skewing, etc) then apply any other transform Shape Effects except scaling (rotation, skewing…) to it?

So, with a 'Preserve Size' checkbox in the Find/Replace window…

• if a parametric shape is bigger than another one because it was scaled, but in the Transform panel it still shows 100% width and height, pick its real size and use that as the size for the replacement object, then add any other shape transform effects to it;

• if a parametric shape is bigger than another one because it was scaled, and in the Transform panel it shows at 120% width and height (because the option you mention is enabled in Prefs), pick its real size and use that as the size for the replacement object, then apply any other shape transform effects.

In any case, indeed I am talking about how to easily replace all selected objects with an adjusted (scaled) shape, without complications like shape styles or roles, converting parametric objects to curves before that or going into Preferences to change this option.

I mean… I welcome having this option in Preferences, but most users wouldn't know about it and won't make the connection for this particular Find/Replace need.

That's why I said a 'Preserve Size' option in the Find/Replace window is better, because it's more direct, discoverable and simple.

• ....Will show some thoughts and a few finds....

I'm still working on it, it will take yet some time 🙂

• Here why i came to this question.

First
    Because of the shear amount of options "Find/Replace" seems to already have.
    But i dont know, how to use any 🙂
    Second
    Most steps seem to be already possible in VS. But only manually.

Resizing Objects:
    I like resizing via Alignment Size
    because it will align the Size from any Shape to any Shape
    (works also with blended Shapes, i use blend often to get
    a bunch of colors or sizes)

Here a Video:

0_1653566537114_Align-Size-1.png
    Change Shapes:
    I use the Shape Picker Tool, could also change Sizes
    (works also with blended Shapes)

Also a Video her:

0_1653566566567_Shape-change-1.png