Trim between two nodes

• @Igull

I am wondering in this case too.
    moreover, that the Path part can quasi be marked with that Triangle

maybe @VectorStyler VS sees this too and has mercy with us πŸ™‚

• I've just been trawling through the path commands to see if anything else was available for this and noticed two commands - one of which may not function as originally intended ...

In the help file, the command is 0_1658835894829_Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 12.43.16.png
    Remove the selected nodes from the edited path - the tooltip for this in VS is Delete the selected objects or shape nodes (backspace).

Now, using the shape editor tool, if you click on a segment of a path, the small triangle appears as normal, but if you hit delete, it deletes the complete path. The complete path is not fully selected at this point - just the segment.

In the help file, the command is 0_1658835951184_Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 12.43.24.png - Create new nodes at the selected inner location of a segment, or at the middle of the segment following the selected node the tooltip for this is Insert a new node into the shape segment at the selected location (+).

What would make sense (to me at least πŸ™‚ ) would be that these two complementary tools are used to simply insert and remove nodes ? The addition of Delete the selected objects would imply that along with any selected nodes, the selected segment object was to be deleted or if the whole object were selected, then that should be deleted ?

It would seem to me that this was the original intended function of this and would solve the issue (nearly πŸ™‚ ) as when selecting a node, you have the options of the backspace key or using this tool - both of which perform the same function ?

Neil

• @Igull The first tool (the one with a βŠ–) should delete any selected nodes.

There is no way to click a segment to select it.
    Not sure a single click could mark a possible node location (as it currently does) AND also select that segment without confusing users?

The second tool (the one with a βŠ•) does the same thing a double-click on the path does β€” it adds a node to that segment.

@VectorStyler If no nodes are selected, I don't think clicking the βŠ– node button should delete the entire path instead.

Double-clicking the path to add a node and hitting Option-delete is the fastest method to do what you asked initially.

• @b77 said in Trim between two nodes:

There is no way to click a segment to select it.
    Not sure a single click could mark a possible node location (as it currently does) AND also select that segment without confusing users?

Using the Shape Editor tool, if you single click a segment, it leaves a stationary indicator "arrow" at that point, so VS must know that it is a segment as it has just marked it with the arrow ?
    All VS needs to do is NOT delete the whole path when backspace is hit, but only the segment - problem solved πŸ™‚

Selecting a node and hitting backspace/delete whatever would still remain and not confusing at all. You would also still be able to double click to produce a node.
    Further, VS allows you to drag that segment to produce a curve (GREAT feature BTW !!!) - so it definitely knows it's a segment.

In essence the only thing that needs to change is to not delete the whole path but only the segment (as I suspect the original intention was πŸ™‚ )

Neil

• @Igull I agree that the ⊳ node marking can work for what it now does (show the place where if you click the [+] key it will add a node) and also "mark" the clicked segment for deletion.

It's just that I thought highlighting the segment somehow would have been better.

But I can't think of an elegant way to highlight the segment without making things look more busy than they already are when in node editing (with so many nodes and BΓ©zier handles).

• @b77 said in Trim between two nodes:

It's just that I thought highlighting the segment somehow would have been better.
    But I can't think of an elegant way to highlight the segment without making things look more busy than they already are when in node editing (with so many nodes and BΓ©zier handles).

TBH, I just checked AI - it highlights the whole path (not wonderful really !) So, your idea of placing an X or as is, an arrow/triangle will work just fine I think ?
    That way, everything will remain the same for mode editing etc.

Neil

• @b77

well for me where also enough to set that Triangle

could highlight that segment in complementary color be a way ?

• @Subpath said in Trim between two nodes:

could highlight that segment in complementary color a way ?

TBH, that would be nice, but adds icing on the cake πŸ™‚ I'd be happy with leaving the triangle - knowing that I was about to hit delete and remove it all anyway πŸ™‚

Neil

• @Igull

you right, extended my post above
    to set that triangle alone would fit it for me

• @Subpath and @Igull
    It's OK with me to use just the triangle mark for both node placement and segment highlight.

• @VectorStyler

Is it possible to implement this feature, using the shape editor tool, click a segment and hit backspace/delete to delete that segment rather than delete the whole object ?

TIA

Neil

• administrators

@Igull said in Trim between two nodes:

Is it possible to implement this feature, using the shape editor tool, click a segment and hit backspace/delete to delete that segment rather than delete the whole object

It is in the backlog.

• @VectorStyler said in Trim between two nodes:

Is it possible to implement this feature, using the shape editor tool, click a segment and hit backspace/delete to delete that segment rather than delete the whole object

It is in the backlog.

πŸ‘ πŸ‘

Neil

• @VectorStyler I was searching for the easiest way to delete segment and found this thread. There is a simple way to delete segment in AD with node tool holding CTRL and click will delete the segment.
    Example in AD

• administrators

@Jayanta-Das It is in the backlog for 1.2

• @VectorStyler said in Trim between two nodes:

It is in the backlog.

@Igull are you wanting the option to remove a segment entirely, leaving an open path?

If this gets implemented, would it take away the current "click a segment/node and hit backspace/delete to delete the node and click backspace/delete a second time to delete the whole object"?

I had advocated for this current option mentioned above and would like to be sure it's still an option in VS going forward as i use it quite often to quickly remove things

• @Jayanta-Das said in Trim between two nodes:

@VectorStyler I was searching for the easiest way to delete segment and found this thread. There is a simple way to delete segment in AD with node tool holding CTRL and click will delete the segment.
    Example in AD

This looks like a great solution - glad it will be in 1.2!

• @Boldline said in Trim between two nodes:

@Igull are you wanting the option to remove a segment entirely, leaving an open path?

Yes, that's correct.

If this gets implemented, would it take away the current "click a segment/node and hit backspace/delete to delete the node and click backspace/delete a second time to delete the whole object"?

No, that would still stand - I also like the idea of hitting backspace/delete a second time to delete the complete object.
    IIRC, in AI, selecting the segment then hitting delete, deletes the segment, but leaves the two adjacent nodes highlighted - hitting delete again would delete the complete object as it has both ends of it's vector selected.

Neil