Saved files missing

• administrators

@Ingolf I will try to replicate it.

• @VectorStyler I understand the frustration of some users with this bug and some others in VS, but to be honest my interest and confidence in VS remains unaltered, because of the programs huge potential, in spite of the bugs VS still has. The program's complexity in itself makes developing it a challenge, one that so far has been addressed in the best way possible, considering that VS was created and is developed by a single person, while Affinity Designer is being built by dozens of devs and Adobe Illustrator by hundreds of them. So, what has been accomplished with VS most certainly has my respect. After having let the frustration of losing files ebb away, I started the project again - https://communicats.blogspot.com/2022/10/exploring-vectorstyler-part-ii.html - and I will continue to do so until I get it done. I understand this is not a commercial project, which means I have to make the time to develop it, but this also goes for the VS developer, which requires a lot more knowledge and persistence than this little project that I am involved in. For commercial projects I simply use Affinity Designer until VS will be stable enough to do the job, which I am certain at some point it will be able to do. This is my perspective on the matter, that I am aware of, may not be shared by others. I will therefore continue working with the bugs until they do not bug me anymore, because developing VS, in my opinion, has been done in a superb way.

• Was the issue that @VectorWhiz saved it to a network drive and then disconnected the network drive, causing VS to be unable to locate it to open it? Or is there a fundamental issue in VS that it has issues finding saved files on network drives?

• @Boldline The files simply were not in the network directory in which I saved them. For some reason. But when saving them to the system disk on which VS was installed, I was able to reopen them for further editing.

• @VectorWhiz said in Saved files missing:

@Boldline The files simply were not in the network directory in which I saved them. For some reason. But when saving them to the system disk on which VS was installed, I was able to reopen them for further editing.

That's interesting and I agree that is an important thing to get figured out

• administrators

@VectorWhiz I opened a bug on this one. Will try to figure out what is going on.

• I will try saving to some corporate network drives and more this week.

• Saved on two Windows network drives that I hadn't saved on today before, so there are no obvious problems with a regular network drive in a normal state.

• @Ingolf The directory on the disk to where I saved the files that were lost, is a USB drive. Weird thing is that the files also were absent in the location to where my backup system (Aomei Backupper) is supposed to write instant copies of the files. This is really weird.

• administrators

@VectorWhiz said in Saved files missing:

Weird thing is that the files also were absent in the location to where my backup system (Aomei Backupper) is supposed to write instant copies of the files

Could be related to the automatic backup system. I will try to replicate this.