Object Rotate Increment Fail

• Just noticed that selecting an object (a line in my case) - then menu - object/transform/rotate then in the dialogue panel, select an end and click the increment/decrement angle marker does not inc/dec the angle of the selected line about the selected point.

While I am here, is there a better way to snap a line end to a point (the fulcrum) then rotate and snap the other end to an object/point/whatever ??? AI seems to manage this quite easily ?

Neil

• administrators

@Igull said in Object Rotate Increment Fail:

select an end and click the increment/decrement angle marker does not inc/dec the angle of the selected line about the selected point.

Could not replicate this. The Angle field has a slider opening when clicking on then up/down arrow. This is by design.

is there a better way to snap a line end to a point (the fulcrum) then rotate and snap the other end to an object/point/whatever

This should work with the Node editor tool, and Snap to Point enabled.

• @VectorStyler said in Object Rotate Increment Fail:

select an end and click the increment/decrement angle marker does not inc/dec the angle of the selected line about the selected point.

Could not replicate this. The Angle field has a slider opening when clicking on then up/down arrow. This is by design.

So what purpose do the inc/dec arrows have ? In 'expeced' operation, an inc/dec arrow would indicate that the selected value (in this case, the rotation angle) can be incremented/decremented by some preselected value - I wouldn't expect a linear slider to be the result - or if it was, I would also expect to be able to inc/dec via the up/down arrows ?

is there a better way to snap a line end to a point (the fulcrum) then rotate and snap the other end to an object/point/whatever

This should work with the Node editor tool, and Snap to Point enabled.

Perhaps I should have been more specific, sorry, the line should stay a fixed length - one end of which is fixed, the other end of which can be rotated to snap to whatever the snapping is set to. Imagine being given a set of 3 individual lines of lengths 3, 4 and 5 and asked to make a triangle of them without changing the line lengths 🙂
    The rotate tool (without using the panel) in AI is essentially what I am looking for - you snap one end of the line to whatever point you require to fix it, select the rotate tool, select the other endpoint and move it (rotate it) with the ability snap to whatever you want - an arc/line/endpoint/guideline etc - the line remains the same length at all times.

TIA

Neil

• administrators

So what purpose do the inc/dec arrows have

Have to make a better icon for this button that opens the slider.

the line should stay a fixed length

Holding Command while dragging the line end with the Node tool should keep the length fixed. But this (Command) will disable snapping, so that needs to be configured with the "Skip Snapping while Changing" Modifier Key in Preferences.

So what purpose do the inc/dec arrows have

Have to make a better icon for this button that opens the slider.

The way the button looks is OK — the action is "non-standard".

I would also prefer this button to increment or decrement, and have a separate circular slider next to it.

Holding Command while dragging the line end with the Node tool should keep the length fixed. But this (Command) will disable snapping, so that needs to be configured with the "Skip Snapping while Changing" Modifier Key in Preferences.

It would be far better IMHO to have the transform tool do this with the command key (rather than have to change tool to the node tool to do it) - currently, if using the transform tool (the clue is in the name 🙂 ), you can snap one end, then holding the command key, snap the other end - BUT - the line length changes. Having the line length (or object size) fixed a la AI would be far better. It was always a tool I used a lot in AI - mostly performing an action similar to the wonderful collision tool here in VS, but generally rotating and snapping fixed sized objects (objects that require to be of a fixed size that is 🙂 )

I'm sure others will chime in here 🙂

Neil

• administrators

@Igull Added this to the backlog, as a new feature.

@Igull Added this to the backlog, as a new feature.

👍

Neil