Editing prefs proposal

• So, my trial period expired.

Looking for an affordable and high-quality drawing application, I seriously tried to embrace Vectorstyler. Unfortunately I can't find myself in it yet.

The program is rich in features, something that is beautiful, but at the same time it seems that the basics have not been thoroughly developed. Too often I get frustrated doing simple tasks. This does not alter the fact that VS remains promising and worth following.

It seems that the art of the adage KIS or Less is More is not yet known. Whether the developers of VS are afraid to make choices and therefore offer everything. Whether it concerns the UI settings or shape presets. Better two well-balanced (light and dark) UI styles and, for example, a few basic corner presets than 5 bad UI styles and a handful of useless silly corners. Leave that to the users.

I started to explore the program by first trying to set the inimitable settings to my preferences. That was almost impossible work. There too, rather good predetermined choices with perhaps some important variables than an endless bucket of settings full of inconsistencies, especially in naming.

In addition to commenting and provide criticism, I would also like to make a constructive contribution. In the pdf attachment you will find an unfinished idea or proposal to make the settings more clear without losing options.

What I did

• streamlined naming
    • settings from ā€˜Indicator Shapesā€™ combined with ā€˜Indicator Options 1ā€™ (line and color)
    • reduced Shape variations
    • grouped settings that belong together
    • split the (global) Editing Variables to a new tab
    • made structure and coherence visibe, for better understanding.

Although the overview is unfinished, the idea is clear. The remaining items wil fit in the pattern. The list is long but there are also (too) many options.

Thanks for testing.
    If you like my proposal buy me a free copy of VS.

0_1689075605801_VS-Editing prefs proposal.pdf

• administrators

@Ayo Hi, and thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the settings panel can be a bit complicated.
    A simplified version is will be in 1.2 (later), but the indicator shape editing still remains a bit too complex.
    The main issue is that there are just too many of these.

The design suggestion is great, and I will try to include some aspects of it in the future.
    One challenge is that the colors can be changed for most indicators, but the shapes are only for a few.

I will also try to improve the themes, but a high contrast version of these are necessary to have.

same time it seems that the basics have not been thoroughly developed

Are there any specific basic things that are overly complicated, or take more steps as in other (vector) apps?

• @Ayo Thank you for checking out Vectorstyler and sharing your improvement ideas. I agree that the preferences section is complex and confusing. As Vectorstyler has evolved, new settings have been added and organized over time. The developer has mentioned ongoing improvements to the preferences.
    You mentioned seeking out an "affordable and high-quality drawing application" but that the " basics have not been thoroughly developed." Too often you get frustrated doing "simple tasks."
    Those to me, would seem like the higher priority issues to report on over the less noticed preferences panel and the even more obscure UI settings or shape presets.
    When I first tested Vectorstyler over two years ago, I focused on finding commonalities with other vector-editing programs I've used. I gradually explored preferences settings relevant to my testing of basic and intermediate tasks. As time went on, I used my workflow from other programs in Vectorstyler and provided feedback on issues or questions.

Today, Vectorstyler is my primary vector editing program; allowing me to accomplish most tasks for my professional work, despite the fact that I haven't delved deeply into preferences, specifically UI and shape presets. A dedicated group of forum users has been actively testing and offering suggestions for years because we believe in the program's cause and its revolutionary approach to vector editing. Despite searching extensively, I have found no better affordable and high-quality vector editing application than Vectorstyler. While imperfect, the impressive roadmap and user feedback contribute to its continuous improvement.

I encourage you to continue supporting VS by purchasing a license and continuing in sharing your improvement ideas. The cost is much lower than Adobe's annual subscription and slightly higher than purchasing an Affinity product, but the results in my experience, are so much better.

• Hey @Ayo, thanks for the effort with the Prefs PDF. šŸ‘

I won't defend the current Prefs ā€” indeed they can be organized better.

But since it's us forum members that are "guilty" of coming up with too many(?) Prefs requests
    and the developer promptly implemented most of them, we tend to accept the Prefs as they
    are for now.

I'm positive that version 1.2 will bring improvements here as well, not just new features.

I'm also interested to know which simple tasks are not working as you expect and are
    frustrating, if you can find time to write again.

Cheers,
    B

• @Ayo

With all due respect, while I appreciate your work and
    your constructive criticism. I'm not going to buy you a copy of VS.
    (which may be a joke from you)

If VS is not worth buying it yourself, which makes me wonder
    given the price, the features and the really remarkable willingness
    from the dev @VectorStyler to communicate with us users, what and
    where are the alternatives ?

For me it was an immediate purchase where I did not have to
    consider too long and since then VS is my main vector graphics program.

• Guys, let's not sound offended over nothing ā€” it's not nice and we don't know what
    are Ayo's requirements & focus in a vector app and if price (perpetual vs. subscription
    license) is a big factor for him or not.

• @b77 I'm not sure who you were referring to, but I don't think anyone sounded offended or said anything that was not nice or considerate. We all want to be welcoming. No one seems to have assumed negatively of him.

He focused on an obscure section of VS as his reason for not investing in the program. I'm all for improving VS whether it be better organization of preferences or in making simple tasks more efficient, but since the user did not seem to give VS a balanced testing, it would make sense to ask them to clarify why they prioritized things as they did and encourage them to invest in the program and VS community.

We can all choose our respective software. I hope he shares the issues he saw and supports VS and the community by contributing, but he also may decide not to. If that is the case, nothing we said would have resulted in that outcome.

• @b77

Sorry, but i dont get it where my post sounds offended.

• OKā€¦ maybe 'offended' is not the right word. 'Defensive' it is.

We love VectorStyler, I get it, but let's avoid interacting with anybody with
    a defensive, fanboy-ish attitude.

That is all I have to say here, argue with me via PM if you don't agree. šŸ™‚

• I feel I need to say something to bring this thread to a close.

I definitely want to invest in the Vectorstyler application. If that can only be done by buying a license, then so be it. I'll do that. Money is not the problem given the price. In the past, I once invested with a donation to "FreeFreehandā€¢org," an initiative to buy back good old Freehand from Adobe and revive it. Never heard from again.

I am very happy with VS as an alternative to Adobe, Affinity, Corel, etc. The problem is that VS has to make me happy in the use and workflow as well. And therein lies my problem. Almost everything seems possible in VS, but as a tool it is still quite uncomfortable to use. Most forum members are probably already used and grown into VS. I am new to it and therefore see and feel different things. A good interface should serve and surprise in logic.

It is difficult to put the finger on what you dislike in a complex interface but a review on a German 'vectorgarten' website summed up my feeling in (funny, partly true and perhaps too sharply) terms but hit my string:

"The program urgently needs an interface designer, because in its current form it is not easy to get started. Both the terminology itself and the composition of the program contribute to this, with its endless menus and sub-menus, which constantly present everything that available."

Disclaimer: This is not ment as an insult or disrespect to the developers but a global feeling that I share from my user experience perspective point of view.

As far as I'm concerned, to become a pro, consistency, simplification and reduction in the UI is one of the most important points of attention now besides a few more functionalities and debugging.

My choice to explore the settings stems from the fact that I find the settings important. I always go through the settings first with a new program. To see what the possibilities are and set things up to my liking. At Vectorstyler I stumbled here before drawing a line. An additional benefit of puzzling with the indicator settings was that I got to know the program through the back door and ran into a lot of things that you wouldn't have noticed if you tried doing some tests from your comfortable and familiar drawing functions on the front.

I think I have already invested quite a bit in VS. In the relatively short time of the trial period I have made several observations, ideas and proposals in previous posts. Finally, I spent many hours digging through the settings and shared my observations and ideas for a better design in a design suggestion or proposal.

I was hoping for more discussion about substance than about form and courtesy. But I will continue supporting VS by purchasing a license and continue in sharing my improvement ideas. Sometimes a bit direct or rude but the Dutch apply no filter.

Next on my mind is the layers panel.
    But first I am going to buy myself a licence of Vectorstyler.

• administrators

@Ayo said in Editing prefs proposal:

All comments are welcome and please feel free to comment (even negative ones) in the future. This is the only way VectorStyler can be improved.

II once invested with a donation to "FreeFreehandā€¢org," an initiative to buy back good old Freehand from Adobe and revive it. Never heard from again.

Did they actually sue Adobe, and got some coupons? Also, I think the main guy there started to do Gravit (not sure).

Almost everything seems possible in VS, but as a tool it is still quite uncomfortable to use.

Yes, this can happen with some features with a new app. Lets focus on making at least the basics comfortable.

It is difficult to put the finger on what you dislike in a complex interface but a review on a German 'vectorgarten' website summed up my feeling

That review was about a very early beta, a lot has changed since šŸ™‚

As far as I'm concerned, to become a pro, consistency, simplification and reduction in the UI is one of the most important points of attention now besides a few more functionalities and debugging.

UI is being and will be improved in the future continuously.

My choice to explore the settings stems from the fact that I find the settings important. I always go through the settings first with a new program.

I admit, some of those settings can be a bit too detailed. It is hard to place a limit on what should the user be able to change and what is fixed.

I think I have already invested quite a bit in VS. In the relatively short time of the trial period I have made several observations, ideas and proposals in previous posts.

Yes, and thanks for that!

I was hoping for more discussion about substance than about form and courtesy.

Yes, I agree. Making the everyday basic things more comfortable is the number one priority.

Next on my mind is the layers panel.

yes, this would be great to know.

• @Ayo

You are very welcome. By the way, even if there are other opinions,
    my post was not meant negatively at all.

For me, I can also say that I had more comprehension problems with Vectorstyler
    than with CorelDraw (my former vector graphics program), and it took me some time
    to get comfortable with it. Maybe because I've avoided Adobe Illustrator all my life.

Muscle memory is not a big problem for me. Maybe it's because I've used
    so many different graphics programs?

If something is bothering you with VS you are always welcome to post your suggestion
    in the forum.

ps: it sounds to me that your german ?
    If so, i am german too.

• Thanks!
    Just purchased a license!

The download server from Finland is already for a few weeks slow 11kb/sec. Have the Russians cut the cable or is it my problem? Three hours to go according to the download indicator.

@VectorStyler said in Editing prefs proposal:

All comments are welcome and please feel free to comment (even negative ones) in the future. This is the only way VectorStyler can be improved.

Right!

Did they actually sue Adobe, and got some coupons? Also, I think the main guy there started to do Gravit (not sure).

I believe they never came that far. And yes, frontman started Gravit. In the beginning shared his progress and first drawing tools following the Freehand philosophy regularly online. Later it became quiet. Now it looks like sold to- and become a part of Corel.

yes, this would be great to know.

You are eager!

@Subpath

ps: it sounds to me that your german ?

Dutch as I mentioned