Spelling, hyphenation, etc. and languages

• How are spelling dictionaries and hyphenation supposed to be working?

I seem to be able to have hyphenation only in US English:

0_1616521913237_Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 19.46.39.png

In the example above the topmost text frame has Finnish specified as the language of the text, and it has fully justified paragraph formatting so that text should be aligned from both ends of wrapping text lines, and hyphenated if needed (as the English text in the frame below it). Now the text does not align, nor is it hyphenated.

The operating system (macOS Big Sur 11.1) has Finnish supported both for spelling and hyphenation, but is VS supposed to be able to utilize system provided language support, or should the user install Hunspell libraries for any other language than US English -- and if so, are the instructions available? I tried to search the topic from the Help documentation but could not find anything.

• administrators

@Arde VS uses hunspell libraries. I add a task to see how to use macos hyphenation API. For spelling the OS is used.

• administrators

@Arde The new build adds OS based hyphenation support for MacOS.

• @vectoradmin Thanks. However I have not found where the language for the text (e.g. in paragraph text frame) can be specified. I can see language setting related to typography and spelling, and language-specific list for adding words in hyphenation dictionary (?) but I cannot see where the language for selected text is set. Language should be a character property, I think.

Or did I misunderstand something? Is there supposed to be autohyphenation support for OS supported languages? I guess there is because in my screenshot the word "hyphenated" is automatically divided, but now I do not seem to be able to get even English (US) text hyphenated...

• administrators

@Arde In Text menu Character Options view, Typography section, the Hyphenation drop down contains the list of languages that can be used for hyphenation.

BTW: there is a regression in the recent build that results in a crash for text frames, fix will be released ASAP.