Constrain angle improvement

• Now that the SHIFT key behavior and nodes functionality is open in other threads, one thing I wanted to request for some time:

One feature I actually thought Illustrator and Affinity had was first to constrain to the angle already in use by the node. I often have the angle right but need to adjust only the length of the tangent line.

When I SHIFT + pull a handle I am always making fine adjustments to a curvature and seeking to pull the handle a bit more but using the exact same angle. Keeping it in the same angle without assistance is hard. My mind seems to imagine that SHIFT pulling the handle is the saviour but no. I rarely need the 45 angle steps.

I won't object to the 45 angle steps but suggest that the first effect of shift + dragging is keeping the angle steady and locked into the current angle, and that it then jumps to 45 angle steps from there.

• administrators

@Ingolf I add this to the backlog.

• Btw, Option-dragging and Option-nudging a node do nothing useful atm.

It could move the node along (or parallel to) the imaginary line between its left and right Bézier handles.

Or it could move the node and leave the Bézier handles in place (this would change the node to cusp if it isn't already).

Any other possible uses?

• @b77 said in Constrain angle improvement:

Any other possible uses?

@b77 I had suggested recently to @vectoradmin about some day adding the ability to move a node along the path after creation.

Btw, Option-dragging and Option-nudging a node do nothing useful atm.

It could move the node along (or parallel to) the imaginary line between its left and right Bézier handles.

Or it could move the node and leave the Bézier handles in place (this would change the node to cusp if it isn't already).

Any other possible uses?

Oh 🙂 Speaking of Option/ALT

Option - ALT dragging a handle could be improved as well. In Illustrator et al it turns a node into a cusp node and you then adjust the tanget from there directly in that mode.

It would be a great help - a confusing change when starting using VS is that turning a smooth node into a cusp node doesn't change anything visually (in other programs it turns into a cusp node at a 45 degree angle) so my mind pauses for a moment (did I change anything?) and then I see the result for real when I pull a handle.

By ALT pulling you can see the result immidiately and it is a faster operation in any workflow.

The turning into a 45 degree cusp node thing is a personal preference and probably an annoyance to some, I know, but I often use it for this trick, because the corner tool often makes much better cornes than me - and faster:

alt text

• @Ingolf Just in case you were unaware of it, shift-c will switch the cursor to making recognizable cusp nodes like what is in illustrator. Dragging out on a cusp node will reveal a handle on one side and holding down command (apple key) will pull out both handles from a cusp node.

• @Boldline said in Constrain angle improvement:

@Ingolf Just in case you were unaware of it, shift-c will switch the cursor to making recognizable cusp nodes like what is in illustrator. Dragging out on a cusp node will reveal a handle on one side and holding down command (apple key) will pull out both handles from a cusp node.

Thx - that is interesting - but it activates another tool requiring some unnessasary steps to a workflow.

What does it do when I click a node? I have seen it remove nodes on the other side of the shape, several nodes away?

• @Ingolf I have not had that happen with it. It should have no bearing on any node aside from the one you are focused on. It's supposed to essentially pull both handles into the node completely with one click on the node itself. This was a common tool I used in Illustrator for years to get cusp nodes - sharp corners instantly. The VS system of node types as has been discussed at length - even if a node has no handles showing and looks like a cusp node does not make it a cusp node, etc. As far as I understand VS's method of node identification, when you use shift-c to gain the tool and then click on a node with handles, it will eliminate both handles instantly - creating what appears to be a cusp node look.

@Ingolf I have not had that happen with it. It should have no bearing on any node aside from the one you are focused on. It's supposed to essentially pull both handles into the node completely with one click on the node itself. This was a common tool I used in Illustrator for years to get cusp nodes - sharp corners instantly. The VS system of node types as has been discussed at length - even if a node has no handles showing and looks like a cusp node does not make it a cusp node, etc. As far as I understand VS's method of node identification, when you use shift-c to gain the tool and then click on a node with handles, it will eliminate both handles instantly - creating what appears to be a cusp node look.

Initially the tool works as advertised (your explanation) but does this make any sense?

I pull one handle but the other... is affected?

alt text

• Another observation or two:

alt text

• Something happens elsewhere when I command-click that node. Also not shown in clip is that many times I can not pull handles anymore, when I click one handle others are highlighted with blue like they are selected. I am so confused now. 🙂

alt text

• @Ingolf The 'Anchor Points' tool is a relatively recent addition and it looks like it wasn't sufficiently tested (probably because it does the same things Shift- and Option-dragging handles do) — but indeed it should let you also move the Bézier handles, not just "preview" the moving.

@b77 I had suggested recently to @vectoradmin about some day adding the ability to move a node along the path after creation.

You don't mean sliding the node along the path to a different location, right?

• OMG is the control key reserved by macOS for showing the context sensitive menu?

• @b77 That was the thought!

• @Ingolf said in Constrain angle improvement:

OMG is the control key reserved by macOS for showing the context sensitive menu?

One hundred percent! 🙂
    (The Command key does what the Control key does on Windows).

…………………………………………

@Boldline said in Constrain angle improvement:

@b77 That was the thought.

OK, but isn't moving and modifying a node needed more often?
    In my opinion it's easy to double-click the path when in node editing mode to create another node at the intended location, then delete the other one if you don't need it.

• Global Moderator

@Ingolf The control key normally displays the context menu in macOS but I am fairly confident that apps are able to override that. This goes back to the days when 2-button mice were uncommon on the Macintosh (prior to even OS X).

@Boldline said in Constrain angle improvement:

You don't mean sliding the node along the path to a different location, right?

I was just offering future potential uses for modifier keys as they may relate to node editing. My suggestion may be very useful to font designers in particular as that it a helpful tool in apps like Glyphs and is also one of Astute's plugins currently.

• @Boldline Hey, I use Glyphs here everyday 🙂 — Option-dragging a node slides it between the left and right Bézier handles, not on the path itself:

alt text

(Of course, if the node is between two continuous straight segments, it will do that).

So I agree with you then — this is another good use for Option-dragging and Option-nudging. 👍

• administrators

@Ingolf Fixes to angle constraining and the Anchor tool are available in 1.1.002 beta