Tooltips don't display always (Windows 11, VS1.1.117, VS1.2.008 Beta)

• I reported this issue before and it still persists:
    https://www.vectorstyler.com/forum/topic/3086/tooltips-have-disappeared-in-1-1-082-win-11

The issue seems to be with a dual monitor setup.
    I have 2 "Extended" displays: a 4K monitor set as my "main display" (but its Identify number is 2), and below it, a Dell canvas pen and touch (think budget Wacom) running at 2560 x 1440 resolution (its Identify number is 1).

When either VS 1.1.x or VS1.2.x is running on either monitor, either in full screen or in windowed mode, the tooltips will often not show upon launching the program and thereafter.

A quick fix is to move the mouse into the panel or menu and click-drag with an ever-so-slight drag on a blank place in the panel then hover over the icons and the tooltip will display correctly. Unfortunately, once the mouse is moved to another menu or panel, the quick fix must be implemented again .

The temporary fix is in Windows 11, go to Windows > System > Display > Multiple Displays > Make this my main display.
    To start with, my main display was the upper 4K monitor.
    Changing "Make this my main display" to the lower 2560 x 1440 monitor, then back to the upper 4k Monitor fixed the issue.

These fixes only last until you move VS from one "Extended" display to another, or after an update to VS. Then it is back to not displaying tooltips again.

I have lived with this for months and I hope you can get to the bottom of this elusive one.
    Of course, if you don't already have, you may need a dual monitor setup to test it. So if you don't, consider treating yourself to dual monitors in 2024! 😅

• administrators

@Victor-Vector I opened a bug on this one.

• administrators

@Victor-Vector I cannot replicate this problem on a dual monitor Windows 10. I will try with Windows 11 next.

• @VectorStyler
    Okay, thank you. Like I said, it seems like it loses the tooltips when moving the VS interface from one monitor to the other, but it does not happen with any consistency, and the fix is the "Make this my main display", as already stated.
    I hope you can get to the bottom of this.
    I will keep testing to see if I can consistently break it and keep you posted. If anyone else has this problem, please let us know.

• @VectorStyler

Update: I was playing around with more ways to replicate the issue and here is something to try:

• Windows 11,
    • 3840 X 2160 (4K) monitor, as the "main display", Scale 150% and
    • 2560 X 1440 (WQHD) monitor as secondary, Scale 100%
    • Monitors are set to "Extend these displays" in System > Display.
    1. Start with VS 1.2 windowed on the (4K) Main display
    2. Move VS 1.2 to the (WQHD) secondary display.
    3. Turn OFF the secondary display. Contents of this display should move to the primary display.
    4. Turn ON the secondary display. Move windowed VS 1.2 to here, then move it back to the 4K primary display.
    5. Click on VS 1.2 to focus it.
    6. Hover over active icons in the top (editable) context toolbar. Icons should reveal a tooltip, if not, click on an empty area of the context toolbar. Check again.
    7. Hover over a Panel with an active icon. Icons should reveal a tooltip, if not, click on an empty area of the Panel. Check again.
    8. Repeat steps 6. - 7. to see if the tooltips are functioning for both the context toolbar, the panels, and the tool box.

Apply the temporary fix by, going to Windows > System > Display > Multiple Displays > Make this my main display to get the tooltips behaving correctly in all panels, the toolbar, and the tool box.

I hope that helps...