Square star shapes are geometric primitives of a star shape using square sides. The properties of a square star shape can be edited using the Node tool tool or the Shape panel.
Drawing Square Stars
Square stars can be drawn using the Square Star tool from the application toolbox. To draw a square star:
- Select the Square Star tool from the toolbox.
- Press the mouse on a starting location on the canvas, this will be the center of the square star.
- Drag the mouse to set the square star radius and rotation.
- Hold the Shift key to restrict the square star rotation to user specified increments (45 degrees by default).
- Press the Plus key to increase the square star sides while dragging.
- Press the Minus key to decrease the square star sides while dragging.
- Release the mouse to create a square star with the selected radius and rotation.
When the document view is rotated, the square star shape will be drawn with the opposite rotation angle to the view.
The default square star options can be set by double clicking on the Square Star tool icon in the toolbox. For example: the number of sides of the square star can be set numerically before the drawing square stars.
To create a square star by setting the numeric properties of the shape, click at a point on the canvas. This will open the Square Star view (described below) that contains all the square star shape properties. Set the required values and press Ok to create a new object with a square star shape.
Editing Square Stars
The Node tool tool can be used to interactively edit square star shapes:
- Select the object with a square star shape.
- Select the Node tool tool from the application toolbox.
- A handle is shown at each inner and outer side and the middle of each side of the square star.
- Adjust the size and radius of the star by dragging one of the outer side handles.
- Hold the Shift key to restrict the rotation to user specified increments.
- Hold the Control key to change only the radius and keep the angle fixed.
- Hold the Option key to change only the angle and keep the radius fixed.
- Adjust the bending of the star sides by dragging a handle at the middle of a star side.
- Press the Plus key to increase the star sides.
- Press the Minus key to decrease the star sides.
Square Star Properties
The properties of a square star shape can be edited in the Shape panel when the shape is selected, or in the Square Star view, either from the shape panel, or when editing a shape style.
The following properties can be modified for a square star shape:
- Radius - Edit the radius of the square star.
- Angle - Edit rotation of the square star.
- Bending - Edit the bending amount of the square star sides.
- Inner - Edit the distance of the inner corners of the square side from the center, relative to the radius.
- Sides - Edit the number of sides of the square star.
- Corner - Edit the corner size and select the corner shape.
- Clockwise - Set the polygon shape direction to clockwise or counter-clockwise. The shape direction can be observed with the Node tool tool after converting the square star to curves.
- Opposing Bend - Select the square star side bending direction.