Zigzag Grid Shapes
Zigzag grid shapes are geometric primitives containing a zigzag grid of horizontal saw shapes and an optional clipping frame. Zigzag grids can be used as object shapes, or building blocks for more complex shapes.
The properties of a zigzag grid shape can be edited using the Node tool or the Shape panel.
Drawing Zigzag Grids
Zigzag grids can be drawn using the Zigzag Grid tool from the application toolbox. To draw a zigzag grid:
- Select the Zigzag Grid tool from the toolbox.
- Press the mouse on a starting location on the canvas, this will be the center of the zigzag grid.
- Drag the mouse to set the zigzag grid size. The size is adjusted to be a multiple of the zigzag grid spacing.
- Hold the Control key to draw the zigzag grid centered at the starting point.
- Hold the Shift key to draw the zigzag grid into a square box.
- Release the mouse to create the zigzag grid with the selected size.
When the document view is rotated, the zigzag grid shape will be drawn with the opposite rotation angle to the view.
The default zigzag grid options can be set by double clicking on the Zigzag Grid tool icon in the toolbox. For example: the spacing of the zigzag grid can be set before drawing.
To create a zigzag grid by setting the numeric properties of the shape, click at a point on the canvas. This will open the Zigzag Grid view (described below) that contains all the zigzag grid shape properties. Set the required values and press Ok to create a new object with a zigzag grid shape.
Editing Zigzag Grids
The Node tool can be used to interactively edit zigzag grid shapes:
- Select the object with a zigzag grid shape.
- Select the Node tool from the application toolbox.
- Three handles are shown to edit the zigzag grid size and rotation.
- The handle at the bottom right corner can be used to resize the zigzag grid in both horizontal and vertical direction.
- The handle at the right center of the zigzag grid is used to resize horizontally and to rotate the zigzag grid.
- The handle at the top center of the zigzag grid is used to resize vertically and to rotate the zigzag grid.
- Hold the Shift key to restrict the rotation to user specified increments.
- Hold the Control key to fix the zigzag grid angle and change only the size.
- Hold the Command key to fix the zigzag grid size and change only the rotation.
Editing zigzag grids with the node tool (instead of just resizing) has the advantage that the zigzag grid can be resized without resizing the space between the paths.
Zigzag Grid Properties
The properties of a zigzag grid shape can be edited in the Shape panel when the shape is selected, or in the Zigzag Grid view, either from the shape panel, or when editing a shape style.
The following properties can be modified for a zigzag grid shape:
- Size - Edit the width and height of the zigzag grid.
- Spacing - Edit the amount of spacing between the paths.
- Angle - Edit rotation of the zigzag grid.
- Include Frame - Add a rectangular frame around the zigzag grid.
- Clip to Frame - Enable or disable the clipping of the rotated zigzag grid into a non-rotated frame.