Object and Layer Options
In VectorStyler, objects and layers share most of their options and functionalities, with a few special roles reserved for layers. Objects and layers have a number of options that can be set in the Layers, Object Style or Transparency panels. These options are also accessible through a single command, Object Options for selected objects, and Layer Options for the current layer, in the Object menu.
The object options edited with the Object Options command include the object name, role, visibility, opacity, blending mode, and various composition options. These options are also available for layers. The object and layer options view can also be accessed in the Layers panel, by double clicking on the layer or the object.
The following options are available in the Object Options view:
- Name - Eits the name of the object. In VectorStyler, the object name is used in multiple features, like identifying the object in the Layers panel, identifying a symbol or style defined by an object role, or finding objects by name.
- Blend - Open a list of available blend modes. The object blend mode is used to composite the object with its (non-transparent) backdrop.
- Opacity - Edit the uniform opacity of the object.
- Adjustment Layer - Enable or disable the adjustment layer mode for the object. An object with image effects can be turned into an adjustment layer, to apply the image effects to the backdrop of the object.
- Content is Mask - Enable or disable the use of the object content as a mask, when the object acts as an image effect adjustment layer.
- Isolated - Enable or disable isolated rendering of the object. This option is especially useful for object groups containing different composition modes. In isolated mode, the object group is rendered into an empty backdrop, and composited only with objects inside the group. The resulting image is then composited with the object backdrop.
- Knockout - Enable or disable the knockout rendering mode of the object. In knockout mode, an object is composited with the layer or group backdrop, ignoring other objects in that group.
- Opacity is Shape - Enable or disable the handling of opacity and alpha as the object shape. This option affects the mode of composition with the object backdrop.
- Image Render - Enable or disable caching and rendering of the object as an image. This option can be useful when dealing with complex objects or layers, that are rarely modified.
- Locked - Lock or unlock the object.
- Visible - Select the object visibility on all media (display, export or print).
- Printable - Select the object visibility when printing. The object remains visible on the screen.
- Exportable - Select the object visibility when exporting. The object remains visible on the screen.
- Active Shape - Enable or disable the use of the hidden object shape in shape effects applied on the enclosing object group. When disabled, the hidden object shape will not participate in the bounding box of the enclosing group, and will not be included in determining the shape or image effect area. When enabled, the hidden object shape becomes active and will participate in determining the enclosing group bounding box.
- Guide Shape - Enable or disable the use of the object shape as a guideline.
- Role - Open a menu of object roles, used to mark the object as a source of a symbol or a style. The Symbols and Styles chapter contains a detailed description, on how to use object roles to define new symbols and styles, and what kind of roles an object may have.
- Options - Open a menu of additional object options:
- Snap to Object - Enable or disable the snapping to the frame of the selected objects. This option is enabled by default. Disabling this option can reduce the number of objects considered when snapping to object frames.
- Snap to Shape - Enable or disable the snapping to the shape of the selected objects.
- Snap to Size - Enable or disable the snapping to the size of the selected objects, when the Snap to All Object Size snapping option is enabled. For more details on the various snappign options, see the Grids & Guides chapter.
- Snap to Members - Enable or disable the snapping to the members of an object group. When disabled, position snapping will only consider the group frame, not the member objects.
- Snap to Clipped Members - Enable or disable the snapping to the members of clipped object groups.
- Collision Snapping - Enable or disable the use of the selected objects in collision snapping. When disabled, the selected objects shape will not take part in the collision snapping. This option is enabled by default.
- Formation Snapping - Enable or disable the use of the selected objects in formation snapping.
- Changes - Open a menu of various object option names, to show and select which object options are changed. When an object option is changed in the view, the corresponding option name will be automatically checked in this menu. Selecting the changed options can be used, for example, to apply only the opacity value to the selected objects, and leave other options (name, blending mode) to their original value.
When editing the layer options, similar choices are available as for objects, with a few extra, layer specific features.
- Layer Color - Select the layer indicator color. The layer color is used when rendering the layer in outline mode.
- Front Master - Enable or disable the rendering of the layer from a master canvas, on top of the layers of a normal canvas.
- The other options and fields available for layers are the same as for objects.